AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
So i have an Onkyo HT-S9400, which is a 7.1 surround sound.

My room (dedicated cinema room) is about 7 * 4 meters. the height of the room is about 4.5 meters.

My current set up is PLIIZ with front height. I am considering getting two extra speakers for rear surround; because my front heights are mounted and it is hard to remove them. What i am asking is, should i get the two extra speakers so i can have the option of normal 7.1 vs front height? (see Picture). As i said, my amp supports 7.1 and not 9.1, so i cant do both at the same time.

Note 1: the surround Right and left aren't placed in an ideal place for standards, but it was the only place in which i could mount them for everyone to be able to get surround. Also, they are angled to the center of the room and mounted on the two rear sides of the room (See picture)

Note 2: the front heights are angled downwards and to the center of the room. They are also more about 5 feet higher than the right and left speakers.

Note 3: this is a dedicated Cinema for watching movies.

What i am considering is:
Option 1): leaving everything as it is
Option 2): Getting two bipolar speakers (Fluance AVBP2) and mount them on rear ( see picture), so i can have the option of changing to rear 7.1 as opposed to PLIIZ, when i have a 7.1 movie or action movie.
Option 3): Getting normal satellite speakers and mount on rear of the room.
Option 4): Suggestions?

Thanks, your opinions would be much appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
30,594 Posts
I would keep the two surrounds you have in the back corners and get two more of the same speakers to mount directly to the sides of the main row. This should give you excellent rear-vs-side separation and wrap-around envelopment in the surround field.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would keep the two surrounds you have in the back corners and get two more of the same speakers to mount directly to the sides of the main row. This should give you excellent rear-vs-side separation and wrap-around envelopment in the surround field.
hello,

I didnt completely understand what you were trying to convey.

Did you mean that i should turn the surrounds that are on the edges of the room into back surrounds and mount extra speakers in the main area as normal surround? Or did you mean i should get two speakers of the same kind to be driven by the normal surround from the amp; there would be two wires in the positive and two in the negative (i would plug the speakers "as one")?

also, what about the question i was asking. you think i should do something with the 7.1 PLIIZ?

thanks a bunch

Any other suggestions are very welcome and much appreciated

·
Registered
30,594 Posts
Did you mean that i should turn the surrounds that are on the edges of the room into back surrounds and mount extra speakers in the main area as normal surround?
Yes and yes.
also, what about the question i was asking. you think i should do something with the 7.1 PLIIZ?
I think you'll get more benefit from 4 surrounds than your current 2 surrounds + 2 heights. With 4 surrounds you'll be using PLIIx instead of PLIIz.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes and yes. I think you'll get more benefit from 4 surrounds than your current 2 surrounds + 2 heights. With 4 surrounds you'll be using PLIIx instead of PLIIz.
But if i do what you are saying, then the people sitting in the last row wont experience real surround sound because the surrounds are going to be to the sides in front of their sitting area, wont they?

·
Registered
30,594 Posts
But if i do what you are saying, then the people sitting in the last row wont experience real surround sound because the surrounds are going to be to the sides in front of their sitting area, wont they?
They'll still have a pair of surrounds in the back corners of the room.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the reply. Dont the back surround get different discrete channels in 7.1 movies? So the 4 surrounds wont get the same inputs. Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
30,594 Posts
Dont the back surround get different discrete channels in 7.1 movies?
Yes.

If you're trying to give the listeners in the back row the same experience as the listeners in the front row, that will never happen. You're going to dial in levels, distances, speaker toe-in, etc. from the middle of the front row. All that will be mis-aligned for the back row.

The fact that the back row will be closer to the speakers reproducing the rear channels than they will be to the speakers reproducing the side channels is something that happens in movie theatres when you sit in different rows and is likewise unavoidable at home.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Do you think putting bipolars instead of the surround will give a better experience? That is if i leave the front heights as they are and keep the 5.1.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts