AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Many of the new pre-pro/receivers have audio modes that are specifically for gaming. Is anyone using one that converts 5.1 games into 7.1 audio? Do you notice the difference? Any particular game mode seem to work better than others?

·
Registered
7,961 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbo /forum/post/18185542

Many of the new pre-pro/receivers have audio modes that are specifically for gaming. Is anyone using one that converts 5.1 games into 7.1 audio? Do you notice the difference? Any particular game mode seem to work better than others?

Keep in mind that the 360 will only output either stereo or 5.1 (and most games themselves are mixed ideally for 5.1). Anything that you do to the audio data after that is non-native. As for audio "gaming modes," I haven't heard those in action, but it sounds like hooey to me. But like I said, haven't heard it in action and not sure what it does. Regardless, direct audio (no post-processing) should always be more accurate.

EDIT: Just looked into this whole "game mode" thing. It's just another post-processing mix (like "Music" or "Cinema" modes). So as I said above, stick with a direct signal whenever possible for the most accurate sound. You'd probably only want to bother if the original game audio was stereo (as with much older games and the occasional XBLA title). But in those cases, the other surround processing modes would be just fine.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKoprowski /forum/post/18186104

Dolby Pro Logic IIx works real well for that.

Yes. Also: IIRC most modern DD tracks have DD 5.1 EX coded in them, which feeds the Rears a DD surround signal. Not true 7.1, but it really can add more ambiance. Even most DD TV tracks show up as EX on my Onkyo.

I'll double check tonight when I pop in a game...

·
Registered
59 Posts
My reciever does all the new gaming modes. Action, RPG, Music, racing.... I've been using game action. I don't know if it's "hooey" or not, but it sounds amazing. Esp. with Dead Space. I'm only running 5.1 right now.

·
Registered
7,961 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by the muleskinner /forum/post/18190060

My reciever does all the new gaming modes. Action, RPG, Music, racing.... I've been using game action. I don't know if it's "hooey" or not, but it sounds amazing. Esp. with Dead Space. I'm only running 5.1 right now.

Like I said in my post above, I realized what gaming mode was. My mistake. Not hooey. It's just another post-processing mode. But if a game's sound space is well designed (as with Dead Space), it shouldn't need anything other than direct DD. Regardless, the "best" mode is always what sounds best to you.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Yeah my reciever is set to matrix out a 7.1 signal, it sounds fine, but I don't notice much of a difference. Then again I don't notice much of a difference in real 7.1 uncompressed PCM games on the PS3 either...

·
Registered
7,961 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlaughterX /forum/post/18198042

Yeah my reciever is set to matrix out a 7.1 signal, it sounds fine, but I don't notice much of a difference. Then again I don't notice much of a difference in real 7.1 uncompressed PCM games on the PS3 either...

All depends on the quality of the source. "Uncompressed PCM" doesn't necessarily equal "sounds awesome"; it just means it has the potential to sound better, so long as the source material is high enough quality. Also depends a lot on your speaker quality and overall setup. Given all that, a game like Uncharted 2 should sound much better with uncompressed multichannel PCM than at 5.1 DD.

·
Registered
12,418 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman /forum/post/18190255

Like I said in my post above, I realized what gaming mode was. My mistake. Not hooey. It's just another post-processing mode. But if a game's sound space is well designed (as with Dead Space), it shouldn't need anything other than direct DD. Regardless, the "best" mode is always what sounds best to you.

If a 5.1 game has discrete signals panned across the surround channels, these can be presented with better localization accuracy when processed by PLIIx Movie mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman /forum/post/18199651

All depends on the quality of the source. "Uncompressed PCM" doesn't necessarily equal "sounds awesome"; it just means it has the potential to sound better, so long as the source material is high enough quality. Also depends a lot on your speaker quality and overall setup. Given all that, a game like Uncharted 2 should sound much better with uncompressed multichannel PCM than at 5.1 DD.

Since games are created live in PCM, not sure why or how they would become 5.1 DD, unless there's a bottleneck in the plumbing--like no HDMI output, in which case S/PDIF with a DD stream is not only a good alternative, it may be the only alternative other than stereo.

·
Registered
7,961 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler /forum/post/18199727

Since games are created live in PCM, not sure why or how they would become 5.1 DD, unless there's a bottleneck in the plumbing--like no HDMI output, in which case S/PDIF with a DD stream is not only a good alternative, it may be the only alternative other than stereo.

On 360, you have no multichannel PCM option. On PS3, you can force 5.1 DD over HDMI (even though there's no reason to do so). Purely a hypothetical situation, but my point is that you can't get the sound to be any better in quality than its source.

The point of all this, though, is give the various modes a shot. See what you think. Choose the one that you think sounds best.

·
Bass Enabler
21,719 Posts
I almost always use Dolby ProLogic2z which is 7.1 + 2ch height surrounds. My receiver also has THX modes for movies/music/games. Sometimes I try those out (both THX and THX Ultra2) or switch to Audyssey DSX + DTS Neo:6. Never used the generic sound modes really. *laughs* There are dozens of different sound modes on my AVR it isn't funny. More than I know what to do with.

·
Registered
6,710 Posts
7.1 is incredibly overrated.... unless.... you have a huge room. Luckily, I have a pretty large room, and the 7.1 becomes a real factor in there. With the Xbox 360, I layer DPLIIx on top of the 5.1. Of course I have two subwoofers as well (but I still don't consider that 7.2).

Best sound in a Xbox game for me is still Bioshock (the original). Dead Space is definitely up there, and so is Crackdown.

·
Registered
17,106 Posts
7.1 is definately not a huge step up from 5.1, especially if you are centered between your surrounds which gives you surround stereo imaging anyway (if called for). 7.1 does/can help as far as effects that are supposed to be localized though IMO and you dont need a large room to hear the benefit of a 7.1 setup in this area from my experience.

Best sounding game to date IMO is still Dead Space with Bioshock a close 2nd (just the opposite of the poster above
).

·
Bass Enabler
21,719 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 /forum/post/18201803

7.1 is incredibly overrated.... unless.... you have a huge room. Luckily, I have a pretty large room, and the 7.1 becomes a real factor in there. With the Xbox 360, I layer DPLIIx on top of the 5.1. Of course I have two subwoofers as well (but I still don't consider that 7.2).

Best sound in a Xbox game for me is still Bioshock (the original). Dead Space is definitely up there, and so is Crackdown.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe /forum/post/18201812

7.1 is definately not a huge step up from 5.1, especially if you are centered between your surrounds which gives you surround stereo imaging anyway (if called for). 7.1 does/can help as far as effects that are supposed to be localized though IMO and you dont need a large room to hear the benefit of a 7.1 setup in this area from my experience.

Best sounding game to date IMO is still Dead Space with Bioshock a close 2nd (just the opposite of the poster above
).

For some people 5.1 is enough and gets the job done. I have had a 6.1 setup since 2000 and have run 7.1 for a few years. I don't have a large room but the shape of it is long and narrow. 7.1 works real good in this situation. Side wall imaging is better and wrap around effects are more coherent and smooth. Imo, anyway.

I'll have to throw in Operation Flashpoint 2 for another game with awesome sound.

·
Registered
6,710 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe /forum/post/18201812

and you dont need a large room to hear the benefit of a 7.1 setup in this area from my experience.

Well, a large room isn't an absolute requirement, but it's definitely preferred if you want the full benefits of 7.1 . Really, the most critical element, is that you don't have your sofa backed up to the back wall. In my living room, due to the way the room is situated, and the wife factor, I have to have the sofa backed all the way up to the rear wall. In that situation, 6.1 or 7.1 makes no sense whatsoever, and actually detracts from the overall experience. Believe me, I know... because I've tried it. You have to have alot of space "behind" you for the 7.1 to really work it's magic.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 /forum/post/18207967

Well, a large room isn't an absolute requirement, but it's definitely preferred if you want the full benefits of 7.1 . Really, the most critical element, is that you don't have your sofa backed up to the back wall. In my living room, due to the way the room is situated, and the wife factor, I have to have the sofa backed all the way up to the rear wall. In that situation, 6.1 or 7.1 makes no sense whatsoever, and actually detracts from the overall experience. Believe me, I know... because I've tried it. You have to have alot of space "behind" you for the 7.1 to really work it's magic.

If you use true "surround" speakers (ie side firing), and they are placed and calibrated properly as Rears, you can get a good enhancement from a 7.1 setup which is close to the back wall. It took me a while to get it right, and the Audyssey helps too, but now even the wife agrees there is a "fuller" sound with a 7.1 vs 5.1 setup.

·
Registered
12,418 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 /forum/post/18201803

7.1 is incredibly overrated.... unless.... you have a huge room. Luckily, I have a pretty large room, and the 7.1 becomes a real factor in there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 /forum/post/18207967

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalksInDarkness /forum/post/18210111

If you use true "surround" speakers (ie side firing), and they are placed and calibrated properly as Rears, you can get a good enhancement from a 7.1 setup which is close to the back wall.

Just to put some definition on "close," the rear seats in my room are 2' from the back wall, and the 7.1 effect is very good back there--using direct radiators all around.

More than the sheer size, I find that when there are two rows of seats to cover, 7.1 does so much better than 5.1 at keeping everyone in the soundfield.

·
Registered
750 Posts
I use dolby pIIz and works rather well. my ht room is about 12' x 25' so it's pretty long.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I have a PIO VSX 9120 and just use Stream Direct (using HDMI into the reciver from both game sources) --- am i missing something?

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
I personally prefer not using any post processing modes aside from simply matrix'ing out to unused channels. All you are really doing is applying varying degrees of reverb/delay throughout the speakers to simulate surround sound effects, or give a "big room" / "theatre" feel to the sound. While that can sound pretty cool, you also lose some of the crispness to the audio. I would rather just play a game or watch a movie the way the developers/directors intended.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts