AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having just acquired the front speakers for my HT 7.1 setup, Linn 5140's and 5120 for the center channel, i was thinking on buying(on special sale) the newton S300's(2pairs) to use them as my surrounds and surround backs. Being this speakers multipole i will use the side surrounds as dipoles and the surround backs as monopoles. Will these be a good combination? My hardware is a Denon 5800, Pioneer Elite 47A prog dvd-SACD, DVD Audio player and a 4DTV with a future HD decoder buy as well as a Marantz or Sharp dlp front projector. Any suggestion on the 7.1 setup?

·
Registered
937 Posts
Hello Luis

Nice setup! The linn's are also quite good -- hope you enjoy them. The newtons should work well for theatre surround. They look a bit small for music, though -- perhaps disappointing with dvd-audio when combined with the 5140's. Do you have a sub-woofer? With a crossover around 100-120, that would help a great deal. See this thread if you already haven't http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=144094

You will also need some bass management for the dvd-audio & sacd. Try the outlaw icbm http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/icbm.html . It is a low cost solution -- just make sure you have an analog bypass on the receiver.

Regards, Michael

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Michael, now i'm confused, the 5800 has a separate external input for the dvd-audio sacd Is this what you mean by an analog bypass?This are inputs for all channels including the surround backs, but the 47a player does not have outputs for the surround backs.The info on the ICBM is great. Will consider buying it as soon as my head clears up from so much info. Planning on adding a SW, considering the newtons at +- $749. have you heard about this SW's

·
Registered
937 Posts
Luis, bass management is an issue -- perhaps the biggest you will face now. This link will explain far better than I http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...o-11-2001.html

Your front speakers are very good and can reproduce the audio signal quite well, but small surrounds won't go below 100Hz or so, and quite a lot of information will be lost, along with a potentially poor sounding speaker. For this you need a component between the dvd and the receiver -- the icbm -- which re-routes the lower frequencies from the surrounds to a sub-woofer. Thing is, because this is accompliched by the icbm, it needs to pass through the receiver without any subsequent processing. On the receiver this is called analog bypass. I'm not sure the 5800 has it -- I know the 5803 does -- although the "separate external input for dvd-audio" sounds a lot like it. If not, the icbm won't work. This is not a showstopper, just a PITA. I'm not aware of any other solution for bass management, although you might search the audio and dvd forums over the last couple of months. You will find a number of detailed and informative threads describing this and discussing alternatives.

Haven't heard of the newton sub. There are many alterntives at that price range, research will pay off here. Search the audio forum and you will also find alternatives. SVS subs are mentioned quite often here, as are HSU.

Regards, Michael

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info, I just placed a new thread to see if i can get extra input from members. Thanks

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Michael, just had a question cross my mind. If i got another pair of 5140's to be used as my R+L surrounds for dvdaudio-sacd only, keeping the newton surrounds for HT R+L +2 backs (EX or ES), will it be advisable to add the icbm for bass management ?The 5800 allows me to use this configuration labeling the back 5140's as B surround speakers , so in sacd or dvd audio playing i engage all linn speakers for audio only and when watching movies i engage the front linn's plus the newton surrounds (the back linns or B speakers remain silent) while watching movies. Is this coherent?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.