AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning a dedicated theatre - the catch is that it's 14x14, and I've already got (from a previous house and much bigger room) an LCD front projector and 92" microperf screen. I can do pretty much anything to the room except make it bigger, but that's my problem.

In order to fit the projector and screen in, I end up with a 9' viewing distance and the couch up against the back wall. I'm unwilling to reduce the viewing distance as the screen dooring is already pretty severe (it interacts with the microperfs). That means I'm stuck with some unusual configuration for the L/R surrounds, which are in-wall dipole Triad Silver Surrounds. At this point I am expecting to mount them about 3' in front of the couch and angle them backwards so that the nulls point at the listening position. Are there any better placements? They'll be up at ceiling height, on the walls.

Since I have to redo the walls anyway, I expect to place at least the wiring for 7.1, and probably some speakers too. I have a hard time imagining how this would work, though - the speakers cannot possibly be more than about four feet from the listening positions. What should I be using there?

L/C/R are MartinLogan Aerius/Cinema with a Velodyne HGS-10 sub. At the moment I am using a B&K Ref 20 prepro, although I expect to upgrade shortly to a Classe SSP-30. In case it matters much the amps are a Classe CA-201 for the mains and a B&K AV6000-II (6-channel) for the rest.

·
Registered
146 Posts
First, with dipoles, you can sit reallly close without even being able to tell that the sound eminates from the dipole when you're on the null line. So even though the dipoles are only 4ft away, you will not get a directional effect.

You should note however that relative distance between your ears and the dipoles do matter and thus the -6dB per double distance rule still applies. So being in the middle of the virtual line which connects the side dipoles really helps with smaller rooms to get a good sweet spot.

I have a similar room which is quite high (about 10ft) . I have two pairs of B&W SCM-8 dipoles, one side pair mounted at about 8 ft high, another pair at the same height mounted in the back wall.

I don't have upgraded my Tag Mc Laren av32r to 7.1 yet, but both pairs work well with a good phantom image when connected in parallel to my Rotel RSP-985.

Also see my reaction on the 7.1 upgrade thread where I have discussed how to wire both pairs to get the correct phase.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.