AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought an Onkyo HTIB 7.1 system for my basement knowing from reading here that my room is not a good 7.1 setup as the couch is against the back wall.

I assumed that I would just use it as a 5.1 setup.

But I had a thought... It has a dropped ceiling, is there any value to putting the other 2 speakers up in the ceiling hidden and slightly behind the couch? Or is that just a waste?

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
While it's probably best to have some space between the back wall and the seating, that doesn't mean you can't do 7.1 if it's not.

My rear row of seating in my HT is against the back wall. I usually sit in the front, but on the occasion that I do sit in the back, I can't tell any difference with the rear surrounds.

Just put them on the rear wall.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was reading on here that 7.1 was not worth it if you could not get the 7.1s at least 3 feet behind the seating.

I will mess around with it and see how it works

·
Registered
6,993 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroadr12 /forum/post/15565922

I was reading on here that 7.1 was not worth it if you could not get the 7.1s at least 3 feet behind the seating.

Absolutely false.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Here is my take on this. My couch is on the back wall as well. I had a 7.1 system with the rear speakers mounted above me/near the ceiling. I then went to a 5.1 bipole system since I heard of all this talk how a proper 5.1 will sound as good if not better. Now I have a 7.1 bipole/direct for rear system. Why did I go back to 7.1 even though I didn't have proper placement? Well it's simple. After watching a few movies that had 7.1 sound as it's only audio option I missed it.

·
Registered
My home theater is a 2.0 1978 "Sears by Fisher" (same as Fisher RS-1030). I love Vintage.
74 Posts
I just got an HK247 and have a very small living room with the couch up against the back wall. I have the Surround Back speakers facing each other.

I love the sound. I actually do not like any of the 7.1 or 5.1 formats though. I prefer to use the Logic 7.

You will not regret going with 7.1

·
Registered
763 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroadr12 /forum/post/15563090

I just bought an Onkyo HTIB 7.1 system for my basement knowing from reading here that my room is not a good 7.1 setup as the couch is against the back wall.

I assumed that I would just use it as a 5.1 setup.

But I had a thought... It has a dropped ceiling, is there any value to putting the other 2 speakers up in the ceiling hidden and slightly behind the couch? Or is that just a waste?

A 7.1 will work, you just lose some of that spatial distibution of sound sitting right up against the wall but overall sound will probably sound better if you are playing a 7.1 format with the addition of 2 rear speakers. Just won't sound as good if your seating area is pushed forward of those rear speakers.

Another option, go with a 6.1, leaving that extra speaker out. If it is formatted in 7.1, you single speaker will pick up the 2 rear channels or just buy one regular in ceiling speaker like you suggested. If the room is very "small", I would recomend a 6.1 with a in ceiling speaker firing down at the couch and just find another home for the 2 rears.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts