AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to purchace a "Onkyo TX-NR809" 7.0 System and need to find the best speakers I can for $600-$1000. Most systems are 5.1 and I am having trouble finding reviews on 7.1 Speaker systems. Are there any good 7.1 Sysems or should I just buy them in 3 pairs and A Sub? Also, If I end up buying them separately what are some of the best speakers in my price range? They will be used 95% of the time for DVD's/Streaming Movies/TV/Sports ect... They will also not be in the cieling or in the walls. I will probably put them on stands or something. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Banned
2,914 Posts
There is no "package" 7.1. The reason is, packages are (typically) relegated to the "cheap end"...people doing 7.1 have(by default) kicked themselves out of the "cheap end".

Like Zie alludes to, I'd spend a bit less on the receiver as well(like maybe the 709)...however, we have no idea where you are getting it and I've already seen prices at Accessories4less that make the 809 a no-brainer over the 709. (like right now the 709* is $100 less and has free shipping)

To help us help you...

Can you really do a 7.1...or are you just hoping to?

How big is the room?

Towers? bookshelves? hang 'em on the wall?

I'll throw one idea out(Amazon or Best Buy...online...not in store)

3 pairs of BIC DV62(about $330 total...give or take $15, depending on the day)

BIC DV62CLRS(usually just above $100...depending on the day)

Then take your pick...

BIC V1020/V1220/F12/PL200

Depending which sub you choose...you cover your $600-$1000 budget.

Also...outside of those...just about all there is left is Mordaunt Short Carnival(barely, you might squeeze by at $1000), Polk Monitor and Infinity Primus. Beyond those four choices...don't bother...

*as an example...I'd rather have(at a slightly higher cost) this...(comparing the 809 with the BIC DV62/CLRS, with the 709 and Mordaunt short...for the same basic speaker sizes)

809+BIC set=$1270-ish(with BIC V1220)

Mordaunt Short Carnival 2 ($250)

2 pairs Mordaunt Short Carnical 1 ($170 x 2)

Mordaunt center ($200)

Still pick a BIC sub, you are at $1000-$1150

709+Mordaunt Short=$1490-ish(with BIC V1220)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Room is about 14x20. Putting the speakers on stands. Getting the 809 as much for Video as for audio. If anyone can find something that has the same features for less I am ok with spending less on a Receiver and more on speakers. Can also go w/ 5.1 if same or better for less. Ireally just liked the total feature pkg on the 809. Could really care less about Rhaps and Napster though. Thanks for Your replies.

·
Banned
38 Posts
Taking the "power" out of the equation(whether the push pull makes a difference, maybe somebody else can chime in on that one)...which won't really make "much" difference...unless you have an enormous room where you need all the headroom you can get...

The 809 adds...

front optical input.

ISF Calibration capability

HQV vs Qdeo(that is a "hot topic" I'm not jumping on...)

Front and rear USB(you can buy the Onkyo Wifi adapter and still have the front USB for MP3)

Remote set-up via the TV(yes this makes it easy)

So for me...if you plan on using the Networking...and you like the idea of the Wifi, then the 809 is a winner with two USB.

The easier remote set-up is icing on the cake(although you won't use this feature very often...)

·
Registered
399 Posts
Stick with 5.1.

There are lots of speakers in that price range, and some sound similar and some sound different and some are VERY different from each other. Definitive Technology have a slightly "bright" sound to me but not irritating whereas Klipsch has a kind of in-your-face midrange and then Infinity's Primus series is on the "warm" side which means higher frequencies are softer and easier on the ears for some people. Everyone hears differently so you need to go out and listen before choosing. Try to bring your own music! It would be agood idea to burn a CD-R for that reason with different tracks from different albums because most retailers have crap demo music, if they have any at all. And dont allow them to use the radio, one of the worst sources of music for demos!*

Using music you are familiar with, even if it is not an audiophile quality recording, allows you to judge speakers better because at least you have some frame of reference based on your car system, your PC speakers, your headphones etc.

If you go out and demo, make sure the receiver is set up correctly a nd that means bass and treble set to "0", any DSP selections like hall, club or Dolby Pro-Logic IIx is turned off, or anything else that is adding artificial effects to the music. And if they demo with a sub turned on, try to make sure the receiver's bass management system is turned on so that if the left and right speakers, the "satellites", are very small they are NOT receiving a full range signal which could easily overdrive single 3" and 4" woofers, causing some ugly distortion. I see this all the time at big box stores.

Personally speaking I would stay away from those tiny satellites with 3 or 4 inch woofers especially with that powerful receiver, and stick with something with at least a 5 inch driver. I believe they are easier to blend with a subwoofer and the complete system just sounds fuller and more realsitic to me.

* I have been toying with the idea of using a flashdrive with 320k MP3 files for demo use, but not sure about plugging a piece of my own hardware into a demo unit that may have not been treated well. Plus trying to use the USB onscreen operating interface of a receiver I've probably never seen before could be a huge headache.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Zieg, Schan, Trumbell, & Donut! Much Appreciated input!!

I have not looked at that particular model. Mostly looked at the AVR1912.

Looking at the Denon AVR-991, it looks pretty good for about $150.00 less then the Onkyo TX-NR809.

Onkyo TX-NR809 link: ( http://reviews.cnet.com/av-receivers...-34846787.html ).

Here is the link for the Denon site that shows all of the Denon AVR-991 specifications: http://usa.denon.com/us/product/page...5-27bf8efeb48d .

Does anyone alse want to way in on these two receivers?

I am now considering going with a 5.1 model instead based on Donut's recomendation. Does anyone else agree or disagree on going with the 5.1 instead of the 7.1 receiver. Also, any recommendations on 5.1 systems with similar features and price range as the ones above?

However... I really did like the features and the price range of the 2 mentioned above.

Also need to seriously thank Schan for the speaker recommendations above. Well Done!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have almost decided to go with the Onkyo-809 AVR, and Infinity Speakers; P-362's (floor standing),Inf Primus P-163's (4 bookshelfs), PC-350 (Center), and PS-28 Sub. All for under $2,400.00 Please feel free to comment before I pull the final trigger on these purchases. I really have appreciated all of your feedback, Thanks Again.

·
Registered
50 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnythan /forum/post/20973818

I would spend a lot less on a receiver and a lot more on a subwoofer.

Yes.

Outlaw M8 would be a good place to start. That's about the best brand name sub I've seen for anywhere close to $200. The BIC F12 would be another option that would probably work better in larger spaces.

If you knock that reciever cost down the aforementioned $150 bucks, that might get you to an Elemental Designs A3S-250.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Why more on a subwoofer? Niehbors down stairs alraedy complain somtimes when watching movies late. Do I really need a Great sub for TV and Movies? Also, The 809 was the only one in it's price range that had the features that i wanted. THX Select2 Plus certified, Dolby Volume, I-Pod ready, Audio Return Channel (ARC), Auto sound calibration, Analog to HDMI up conversion, HDMI to HDMI scaling. Would have loved to have spent less on a 5.1 AVR with those features. Any Recommendations?

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
My Onkyo 608 has all of the things you listed, and I bought it for $279.

THX certification on a receiver is highly overrated though. There's zero practical advantage to it.

Anyway, check out the Denon 2112. Has everything you want, including MultiEQ XT.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
$279! Wow... Great price for that AVR. Only thing I realy don't see with the ones that you have recomended is the HDMI To HDMI scaling. Looks like the 809 is only $150.00 to $200.00 more than them on average though right now. However, if I could get a new 609 for the same price that you purchased yours then that is what I would get.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
OK I will look at those and then make a final decision. Multi EQ.... on it! So, are the speakers that I am getting descent enough speakers for the money or am I going to be disapointed? Once again.... I have neighbors in a condo and normally don't crank the volume.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.