AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the minimum rear and side speaker placement distance from the listener? For example, if the ideal height is about 2 feet above the listeners ear, how far back (and to the sides for 7.1) should speakers be placed? Is 3 feet too close?

What if you are using the Dolby setup IIx configuration? I know you can figure out the distances based on the angles, but what distance is too close??

·
Registered
398 Posts
I had similar questions and after doing some searching here and getting some basics I then visited the Dolby, DTS and THX websites and viewed their speaker placement diagrams. I even emailed all three with basic drawings of my room etc and each emailed me back with their recommendations, but Dolby response was far and away the most helpful.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I found some more information out on this. Ideally ou want to have all the speakers the same distance from the listening position apart. When you can not do this you have to adjust your receiver to accommodate the different positions. I would also recommend being at least 1/3 of the distance away from your rear wall.

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
Look at the photos below to get a proper setting idea,and the right height for surround speakers is 3-4 feet above the ear level in the listeners sitting position.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.