AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've purchased a 7.1 Rotel receiver. My dealer is telling me to only wire the extra two surrounds because there is little to no software that will use all 7 channels. Is this true? Would I still want to install the extra speakers to enhance 5.1? I have high ceilings and no back wall so over acoustics are bad. Would the extra speakers help my overall soundstage for 5.1 movies?

·
Registered
152 Posts
There is NO such thing as "7" channels, if you are referring to

DTS ES or Dolby EX. There are six channels; 5 discrete, 1 matrix (centre rear

surround) and one subwoofer channel. DTS ES is also offered with

a fully discrete centre rear channel. The 7 idea comes from using two

speakers instead of just one for the rear surround channel in order

to "saturate the back field" with sound. Extra channel info can be derived

from many sources, such as stereo up to Dolby or DTS sound tracks

with actual encoding for the centre-rear channel. But because (apart

from DTS's discrete mode with their centre-rear channel) the model

for the matrixed rear centre channel is Pro-Logic like in it's derivation,

you can create it from any source you wish to use. Apparently, material

intentionally encoded with ES or EX matrix channel has cues that the

decoder picks up when the signal is present so in theory, the rear centre

should work "best" when used with encoded material rather than unencoded material.

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
Logic 7 as found on Lexicon processors do an excellent job of imitating 7 discrete channels and is certainly superior to either Dolby Digital or DTS.

·
Registered
30,152 Posts
frisbie,

I think it's definitely worth hooking up the 2 additional speakers. At worst, it will give you a more enveloping surround presentation. At best (on properly encoded material), it will allow sounds to be placed behind you that are separate & distinct from sounds coming from either side of you; this is something that is difficult (if not impossible) to do with only 2 surround speakers. Using 4 surrounds brings you much closer to a seamless 360 degree soundfield.

Since you already have a receiver designed for a 7.1 speaker set-up, why not give it a try!

Best,

Sanjay

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Playing the same signal, multiple surround speakers are more immersive and closer to the theatrical experience.

With Dolby Digital THX-EX or DTS-ES encoded source material, you get sounds behind and beside you; and some proprietary schemes do a good job at making pans run from front to bag (Logic-7).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.