AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Soi just set up my 7.1 with the extra speakers going into the front high area. I have a Marantz SR7007

Thought id test it out, got test signals. Great lets put a movie on.

I put Avengers in (thought this would be a great movie to check) and im getting zero sound out of the front high speakers. Anyone know why?

·
Registered
133 Posts
If the Marantz is selecting Dolby True HD, with a bluray disc, then no you will not get the height speakers to play. I believe you need to select something like Pro Logic IIZ. I had the same problem with my Onkyo 1007. It wouldn't play wides or height with a blu ray disc because I had selected Dolby True HD as the prefered sound field on blu ray. I could be wrong, but it wouldnt hurt to try changing the sound processing to see what happens. Oops! someone beat me to it.

Cheers

·
Registered
133 Posts
Cant really give you advise one that one because the Onkyo doesnt offer it. Give them both a shot and see what you preffer. Glad you got your problem resolved. Now get off the forum and enjoy your new set up!

\

Cheers

·
Registered
30,694 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by amairphoto  /t/1471082/7-1-question#post_23273049

True HD + A-DSX (height)

is that any good? compared to the PLIIz
Listen to them both and decide which you prefer. Just so you know how they work: PLIIz extracts ambience from the surround channels to feed the height speakers; by comparison, DSX generates early reflections (that weren't in the soundtrack) to feed the heights.
Quote:
Originally Posted by amairphoto  /t/1471082/7-1-question#post_23273191

I now have Dolby True HD + PLIIz set but would i be better just using True HD for a movie like Finding Nemo that does support 7.1 and not the PLIIz setting?
The list of movies with 7.1 channels are all 5.1 + 2 rears; none of those 7.1 soundtracks are 5.1 + 2 heights. The only way you'll get all 7 of your speakers to light up is to use PLIIz processing.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani  /t/1471082/7-1-question#post_23273514

Listen to them both and decide which you prefer. Just so you know how they work: PLIIz extracts ambience from the surround channels to feed the height speakers; by comparison, DSX generates early reflections (that weren't in the soundtrack) to feed the heights.

The list of movies with 7.1 channels are all 5.1 + 2 rears; none of those 7.1 soundtracks are 5.1 + 2 heights. The only way you'll get all 7 of your speakers to light up is to use PLIIz processing.

Could you elaborate on this please, i dont quite understand how it generates something that is not there....

·
Registered
30,694 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by amairphoto  /t/1471082/7-1-question#post_23279829

i dont quite understand how it generates something that is not there....
Ever play with the reverb knob on a karaoke machine? That reverb wasn't in the recording (otherwise you wouldn't be able to adjust it).

Same basic concept, more sophisticated processing, and you can simulate a few of the early reflections from a concert hall or jazz club. And that's essentially what Yamaha DSP and Audyssey DSX do: room simulation (give you the impression of being in a larger space).

You can hear it for yourself without extra speakers IF your receiver has any of those Hall or Stadium or Club modes.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.