AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhowie
So for the relatively rare DTC codecs, if one is using an HDMI connection between the BD35/55 and AVR (and then HDMI to the monitor), is there a preferred setting other than "Bitstream"? I've been working under the assumption that I should just use HDMI (Denon AVR-988), set the Panny settings to "Bitstream", and forget about it... is this logic flawed for a 5.1 setup?
Quote:
If your receiver can decode the HD formats, then bitstream is a fine way to go. However, if you have a 7.1 system, you need to make sure it can decode and apply a DSP such as PLIIx at the same time. Some AVRs cannot do that.

Conversely, some 7.1 AVRs cannot handle 7.1 PCM over HDMI. So, you need to know the specific capabilities of your equiupment.

My question is...could someone list 2/3 receivers that have the capability BIslander is referring to in the 2nd quote, in the $1000 - $1500 range? Or is this question moot with receivers in that price range?

·
Registered
13,326 Posts
In the manual / specs...

You want one that says it can post process multi-channel PCM, also note any limitation related to audio resolutions. (Some processors can't post process a 96khz audio source)

I'm not sure this helps or not.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNnDENVER /forum/post/15536219

In the manual / specs...

You want one that says it can post process multi-channel PCM, also note any limitation related to audio resolutions. (Some processors can't post process a 96khz audio source)

I'm not sure this helps or not.

I think it does help...would this be an issue with a new receiver in this price range ($1000) like the Yamaha 1800 for example? Or is it a lower/entry level issue?

·
Registered
13,326 Posts
Now the newer Yamaha's are really great, they allow post processing on very high resolution audio. The trade off? They convert everything to the native resolution to do this. Which sort of stinks because it will take all 48khz and scale it to like 96khz or 192khz, ect..ect.. I can't remember which.

Some pure audio people would rather have the processing limitation than have all source converted / scaled to the ultra high rez as it can and does creat something called dithering which is prone to errors.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts