AVS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 5.1 set up and have the hardware to do 7.1 as I have matching pair of speakers that can be used as surround back and have just purchased a 7.1 receiver (Marantz sr7002). Wife (the enemy) says not to install the other two speakers because it will ruin the cleanliness of the set up. It already sounds good, what more do you want? she says. Of course I already bought the speaker wires (100 ft from monoprice) to set it up, run it inside the wall to the attic etc. It is a job and thats whats keeping me from doing it, but its doable. I just want to know from those who have a 7.1 set up if its a big difference/step up from a good 5.1 set up. Room is small, a typical bedroom converted to a media room.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have your typical small bedroom set up that once was 7.1, but down converted to 5.1 due to these space limitations. However, when I did go to 5.1, I bought bi polar surrounds which helped immensely with the surround sound effects. If I had the ability to go 7.1 (effectively), I would. Maybe try buttering up your wife since you already have everything bought and ready? (you're in trouble, lol)

·
Banned
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew664 /forum/post/18146062

I have your typical small bedroom set up that once was 7.1, but down converted to 5.1 due to these space limitations. However, when I did go to 5.1, I bought bi polar surrounds which helped immensely with the surround sound effects. If I had the ability to go 7.1 (effectively), I would. Maybe try buttering up your wife since you already have everything bought and ready? (you're in trouble, lol)

I have the speakers already, Infinity primus 140 (give away from when I bought a subwoofer over at craigslist). The wire is not but less than 10 bucks over at monoprice. The set up of the room is very clean, and I have to say, even at 5.1 it really sounds amazing specially with the Marantz 7002.

You said you downconverted and John Denver said it might be compromised to set up a 7.1 system? Why did you downconvert and why, JohnDenver, do you say 7.1 will not be good for a small room set up?

Planning to set it up anyways until your expert responses, and I know my wife will castrate me if I set it up and take it off again. You know how it goes. She always tells me to "enjoy it" rather than be too engrossed with setting it up, calibrating this, that, etc. What does she know anyways.

·
Registered
5,791 Posts
You need at least 3 feet between your listening position and the back surround speakers. I am close to that limit. I can hear a difference but it is not earth shattering. I mainly did it because I wanted to. Wife didn't care.

·
UHD Addict
39,546 Posts
I went 7.1 back in 2001. i couldn't imagine going back to 5.1. Those extra speakers really anchor the sounds in the back.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I just really didn't have the room to set up a 7.1 system. My seating was virtually against the back wall and the optimal place to hang the side surrounds wouldn't work properly as I had a door where my speakers should be, which didn't bode well for 7.1 in my set up. To remedy this, I bought a pair of bi polar surrounds and hung them behind my seating which greatly improved my listening experience in all available seating.

If you have the room for a 7 channel set up, I'd go for it.

How far back would the rear speakers be to your seating position?

Where do you have your side surrounds now in relation to your seating position?

·
Banned
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew664 /forum/post/18146622

I just really didn't have the room to set up a 7.1 system. My seating was virtually against the back wall and the optimal place to hang the side surrounds wouldn't work properly as I had a door where my speakers should be, which didn't bode well for 7.1 in my set up. To remedy this, I bought a pair of bi polar surrounds and hung them behind my seating which greatly improved my listening experience in all available seating.

If you have the room for a 7 channel set up, I'd go for it.

How far back would the rear speakers be to your seating position?

Where do you have your side surrounds now in relation to your seating position?

Actually, I have at the back facing front and not at the sides. The same problem with yours, DOOR. If I would set it up, then I would have to place the speaker higher than the door. It would be around three feet distance (just your limit blueskY). I was just thinking I don't want to ruin the sound but at the same time, since I have the hardware, might as well use it. You know how it goes. But I am asking since I wouldn't want to go through all of the trouble (running wires behind an OUTSIDE WALL), creeping up the attic, making sure everything is "clean and wire free"...then be disappointed that there is no "significant WOW effect" after all's done. Why sometimes this hobby can be a pain.

·
Registered
4,540 Posts
But you don't have to run wires through your attic just to listen to see if you like the back surrounds. Just string the wire across the room. Opinions of audiophiles about 5.1 versus 7.1 systems are mixed. We're not going to be able to give you an authoritative answer. Please try it.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Those pesky doors!

I agree with Greg. Try them for yourself since you have the hardware to do so. Maybe get the wife's opinion on it too since maybe she'll be able to help discern if there is a noticeable difference.

Good luck!

·
Registered
31,174 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDeeds /forum/post/18145603

I just want to know from those who have a 7.1 set up if its a big difference/step up from a good 5.1 set up. Room is small, a typical bedroom converted to a media room.

Depends on your listening position. IF your seating is at/near the back wall, then keep your current 5.1 set-up (not enough distance behind you for the rear speakers). However, if your seating is a few feet away from the back wall, then you're a good candidate for a 7.1 set-up.

My first 7.1 set-up was in a 11 x 13.5 spare bedroom. My futon was 8 feet from the front wall, which gave me a good 5 feet of separation between the side and rear speakers. For a small room, I ended up with good rear-vs-side imaging and nice wrap-around envelopment in the surround field.

·
Banned
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Actually, back seating (two theater seats), two feet away from the back wall, while the main seating (three theater seats) a good six, seven feet away from the back wall. I guess I'll try it, since nobody sits on the back row anyways (theres only three of us, myself, wife and son). I guess I'm trying to get an excuse not to set it up myself as its a job. Thanks for responding.

Now, I should ask username Timothy something and he'll probably convince me there is no need for a 7.1 set up and its nothing but a conspiracy marketing ploy to sell newer receivers and two more speakers, hmmmm.

·
Registered
22,559 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDeeds /forum/post/18147095

Actually, back seating (two theater seats), two feet away from the back wall, while the main seating (three theater seats) a good six, seven feet away from the back wall. I guess I'll try it, since nobody sits on the back row anyways (theres only three of us, myself, wife and son). I guess I'm trying to get an excuse not to set it up myself as its a job. Thanks for responding.

Sounds like you have a pretty good space for 7.1. Place the sides at about 10 degrees to the rear of the middle seats and place the rears on the back wall at about the same spread as the fronts. Use Dolby PLIIx decoder on all your 5.1 material and enjoy.

·
Banned
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes /forum/post/18147161

Sounds like you have a pretty good space for 7.1. Place the sides at about 10 degrees to the rear of the middle seats and place the rears on the back wall at about the same spread as the fronts. Use Dolby PLIIx decoder on all your 5.1 material and enjoy.

Thank you, will try it out this weekend. I am just particular with no floating wires on the wall that's why I know it will be a job. Thanks.

·
Registered
22,559 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDeeds /forum/post/18147221

Thank you, will try it out this weekend. I am just particular with no floating wires on the wall that's why I know it will be a job. Thanks.

Wires can be temporarily run till you get it set up and decide if the placement and performance is what you want. Just tell her it's not permanent.

·
Banned
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
And I know I have asked bluesky the same question before. I will use bigger speakers (Infinity Primus 150) as surround left and right and use the smaller speakers (Inifinity Primus 140) as surround backs... I do have two pairs of Infinity Primus 140 and bluesky, if I remember it right, you said it doesn't have to match (meaning two pairs of 140's). Just making sure.

·
Registered
5,791 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDeeds /forum/post/18147321

And I know I have asked bluesky the same question before. I will use bigger speakers (Infinity Primus 150) as surround left and right and use the smaller speakers (Inifinity Primus 140) as surround backs... I do have two pairs of Infinity Primus 140 and bluesky, if I remember it right, you said it doesn't have to match (meaning two pairs of 140's). Just making sure.

I don't remember being asked that.

But if it is of any comfort, I use Def Tech BP2X bipole speakers for side surrounds, and Polk direct radiators for back surrounds. Works and sounds great.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.