AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am searching for a receiver for a 7.1 or 7.2 set up. i would consider separates but not sure what i should be looking for. for receivers i am considering B&K 507 or pioneer 49txi or even denon 5803. i am ordering a

package of rockets for my speakers. can someone offer some ideas.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
stick with recievers. i don't understand why people go ape over HT sound. there's a certain point past which you don't need much improvement. it's completly diff with HiFi where you're focused only on the sound.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Of the 3 receivers you cited, I would vote for the B&K. I have a 307 and couldn't be happier with it. The B&K is set apart by its setup flexibility and room-tuning features, as well as its superior build quality. That said, I'm sure you would be very pleased with any of them.

·
Registered
813 Posts
The main contenders for flagship receivers are on your list. Sunfire has a new receiver as does McIntosh that you might add to your list.

I have the Pioneer VSX-49TXi. I am very happy with it. The automatic setup with acoustic calibration has to be heard to be appreciated. The 49TXi also has firewire for DVD-A and SACD decoding in the receiver.

The Pioneer has received many favorable reviews, but the most important information in the reviews is the bench test data. The tests all show that the Pioneer makes rated power all channels driven and is very quiet as far as noise is concerned.

The only thing I do not like about the B&K is that it makes a slight popping sound when it changes processing. B&K did not put a quieting circuit in it to avoid degrading the sound in regular play as much as possible. It would drive me crazy to hear the popping for any reason, but that is just me.

Bill

·
Registered
203 Posts
I recently upgraded from the B&K AVR 307 to the 507. A lot of used or demo units of the AVR 307 have been for sale on Audiogon. If you are able to go that route you can get an excellent deal and upgrade in a few months through B&K. I loved the 307; a great natural sound on music and hard hitting on HT. The 507 is a step up from what was already a great receiver. I listen to all my movies (non-music) in 7 channel. I have used the DTS-ES setting and the DDEX setting and they both sound phenomenal (still prefer DTS). The 507 has DPLII and I watch TV through the B&K and I love the way it sounds. On both music and HT, there is more detail in the sound and even though I set the levels w/my SPL sound meter, the bass just seems more pervasive than the 307. I compared a number of different units - Denon AVR 5800, Marantz 9200, Rotel 1066 (w/ Rotel amps). I have not listened to the Pioneer or the 5803. At this price point in receivers, it will come down to personal preference. That can only be judged by listening to all of them. I will add one thing. I have read horror stories about Denon and Pioneer on the customer service end of things. B&K is located in Buffalo, NY and they have excellent tech support. I have called them to ask a variety of questions on set-up and configurations. They are very responsive and in several calls I got a recording once and spoke to live people on several occasions. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I'd be willing to let B&K recommendations stand for a receiver option, but still would warn that the "options" available on most integrated solutions are window dressing covering inferior amplification etc .

Notice the poster who mentioned that surround sound quality is some how limited, seems to ignore all of the multi channel music available and the multichannel playback of all your 2 channel software. Why limit yourself when its going to cost you the same $$$. And name a movie without music in it and dialogue?

If you're going to get a receiver I would not spend over $1500 as there seems to be no difference between seperates at these prices, how can one even begin to argue that receivers somehow sound better just because they cost more? but use the same parts? For your speaker setup, NAD 762 will do nicely @ $1200.

Really...

For the Rocket setup, making some assumptions about aluminum drivers, I would recommend the TAG AV30 and the B&K 7.1 amplifier. Elite and Denon receivers cannot come close to this combo except in gadgets. And yes you can hear a big difference. The AV30 will compete with hi quality SACD playback in its 2 channel mode, which receiver can do that?....where's Auditor 55 when I need him?

If the Rockets are as good as everyone says then you owe it to yourself even if the difference is small to get best amplification and processing for your speakers. Especially when it will cost the same $$$.

·
Banned
8,738 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by storminorm
i am searching for a receiver for a 7.1 or 7.2 set up. i would consider separates but not sure what i should be looking for. for receivers i am considering B&K 507 or pioneer 49txi or even denon 5803. i am ordering a

package of rockets for my speakers. can someone offer some ideas.
Do waste your money on separate amps and pre/pro, those aforementioned receivers have all you need in home theater.

Buy the receiver and save the money you would have wasted and by you some good speakers and you're set.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I can understand the reasons for getting receivers (i used to have one).

They contain all you need and usually (the newer units) have all the latest sound formats & options..

Processors are a long-term investment i suppose.

You then have the option of 'adding' to the spec (as and when new stuff is released). Quite handy actually, as there always seems to be something new coming along.

There always seems to be new Denons, Yamaha's, Pioneers, Onkyo's & Sony's coming out all the time.

If you're lucky enough to own a pre-amp/processor, in most cases, you'll be able to just add the relevant 'component' to your existing spec.

Over time, this will save you some cash.

A good example is the TAG AVR32....It's had about 10 upgrades (i think) since it's origional platform was released.

Sometimes it comes down to how deep your wallet is i suppose.

Adzman

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i appreciate all of your opinions....i have to make the decision and at this time i'm going for the B&K 507. why add the tag av30 to the 507. what will it do besides cost me more $$

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.