AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am looking for a 7.1 receiver to use for gaming and movies (mostly for gaming).

I was about to get something like http://www.astrogaming.com/mixamps/mixamp-usb to get 7.1 virtual surround for stereo headphones, but then I realized, that if I get a bigger receiver I will get better sound / more options and a potential to set up a 7.1 speaker system in future (now I have a stereo speaker setup). I am going to be using good headphones with it.

Is that true? Will I get a virtual 7.1 headphone dolby surround if I get one of Onkyos or Yamahas?

If that's the case, can someone recommend me a solution?

For amp I have a harman kardon 730 and I am more than happy with it. So the receiver does not need an amp section (also the reason I want to avoid the astogaming thing b/c it comes with an amp and I would rather use my HK730 for that).

thanks!

·
Banned
8,303 Posts
How far down the road do you plan to go 7.1?

The reason I ask, several years down the road, there will be so many technological changes, that what you buy today, you won't want to use many years down the road; obsolete.

Can't say on the headphone question and 7.1.

The best prices will be on referbs, returns and last year's models. Check this place out.

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/category/AVReceiver/Home-Audio/Home-Theater-Receivers/1.html

Based on your OP, pretty much anything will work for you. Make a selection from the above site, give them a call and find out what the best delivered price is you can work out.

If I might suggest this as a starting poing: Denon AVR1712 .

And for your headphone listening pleasure.....Black Keys: " Gold on the Ceiling "

"Yeah baby!"

-

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks!

Will any receiver with virtual surround handle headphones virtualization well?

I mean even if the receiver is from 2003-2005?

·
Banned
8,303 Posts
We listen through cordless headphones without issues.

FWIW, good sound puts a smile on your face and if you're smiling, nothing else matters. The point, if a stereo AVR from 2003-2005 puts a smile on your headphone wearing head, nothing else matters.

It's all on you as to what your expectations are with what you buy and will what you buy, meet your expectations.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts