AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about looking at upgrading my current 5.1 receiver to a new 7.1 for my dedicated HT room. Whom makes a good 7.1 system? What should I be looking at having to pay for a new receiver? Remember the wife factor will kick in if to costly. What should I be looking for in a 7.1 receiver when purchasing one?

Thanks Rick

·
Registered
393 Posts
Though I have not heard any of these receivers, from reviews and studying the different models, here are some good ones:

1) Onkyo TX-DS989, TX-DS898

2) Pioneer VSX-49TX, VSX-47TX

3) Dennon AVR-5800

I would personally (and am ;) ) go with a Onkyo TX-DS989 or the Pioneer VSX-49TX. I will admit that I have not studied the Dennon AVR-5800 well enough to say that it doesn't compare to the Onkyo or Pioneer, but I give the Onkyo and Pioneer my top two votes. Any of these receivers will be around $2000 or more, but in mine and others opinions, it is worth it. The TX-DS989, VSX-49TX, and AVR-5800 are all upgradable (via Firewire or other connection to computer), which you may want to look for in a receiver. The TX-DS989, VSX-49TX, and AVR-5800 all have three high-band (True HD) component inputs (make sure the receiver says something like high-band, or 50MHz for True HD component connections). Here are some other goodies you may want to look for in a 7.1 receiver:

- Around 130 watts per channel (@ 8 ohm) (by the way, the Dennon has the most watts out of any of these receivers around 200 I think)

- THX Ultra/2

- Dolby Pro Logic II

- DTS-ES 6.1 Discrete

- And of course 7.1 channel inputs AND outputs. I think there are some receivers out there that claim to be 7.1 and only output 6.1; maybe I miss read or miss interpreted a receiver.

By the way if you go with the Onkyo (which in my opinion is the best value Good Price Here ) make sure it is upgraded or you get the $50 upgrade kit from Onkyo ( E-UPGRADE1 ), it gives you DTS-ES Discrete and Pro Logic II. I hope this helps and these receivers are in your budget (now is a good time for me to be thinking about your budget ;) ).

HDCblGuy

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have not really thought of my budget yet but for sure under $2000.00 due to the wife factor. She would like me to stay under $1000.00 but I am not to sure that will be possible so this is why I put the post out to try to get some ideas of what I will be looking at needing to spend.

thanks Rick

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
If you want to stay under $1000, check out the Denon 3802 or the Onkyo TX-DS797 (I think it's a 6 channel though). I'm not really familiar with the lines of some of the others like Yammi or Pioneer. The Onkyo 898 I think is about $1500 without the CHAD remote.

i just bought a Denon 4802, which should cost right about $2000. I love it. It fills the room with sound very nicely. It is a 7 channel unit, with the now coveted DPLII. I went with it above anything else due to the abundance of digital inputs on it. I only have it hooked up for 5.1 at the moment due to space constraints on adding 2 more speakers. I just wish they optioned it without the ATKIS remote since i already have a pronto that I am not giving up.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
You might want to look into the Onkyo 787 which can be had for arounf $600-700 these days. It has 6.1 built in and you can add a two channel Onkyo amp for like $250 and have a full 7.1 setup. I have the 787 and its the same as the 797 -the DPLII. Its a fantastic unit. Plenty of power and sounds great. Plus it will get you under $1000 which will help with the wife factor.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.