AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I have been using Polk 45B as my main speakers, 15C as my center speaker, and 35B speakers as my rear surrounds. My receiver is a Denon 1712 and I'd like to take advantage of the 7.1 setup option. I am planning on moving my Polk 45Bs up and out to be my front elevated surrounds and purchase a set of floor standing speakers as my mains.

I liked the idea of getting a Polk 65t or even the 75t so that all my speakers cherry veneer matched up but I don't want to regret my decision down the road. Are there better floor standing speakers in the same price range as the 65t or 75t? Would the sound they produced match the other polk speakers I have.

Absolute max budget is not a single penny over 199.99/speaker so try to refrain from mentioning any that are. Thanks

·
Registered
345 Posts
If you already have a 15c center, then the 65 or 75 would make your fronts a matching trio. Any other option regardless of price range would be a timber mismatch.

·
Registered
16,705 Posts
What kind of sub do you have? A sub upgrade might provide the most satisfying improvement to your HT experience.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRaymond  /t/1520380/7-1-setup-5-polk-speaker...or-standing-or-something-better#post_24423985

I have been using Polk 45B as my main speakers, 15C as my center speaker, and 35B speakers as my rear surrounds. My receiver is a Denon 1712 and I'd like to take advantage of the 7.1 setup option. I am planning on moving my Polk 45Bs up and out to be my front elevated surrounds and purchase a set of floor standing speakers as my mains.

I liked the idea of getting a Polk 65t or even the 75t so that all my speakers cherry veneer matched up but I don't want to regret my decision down the road. Are there better floor standing speakers in the same price range as the 65t or 75t? Would the sound they produced match the other polk speakers I have.

Absolute max budget is not a single penny over 199.99/speaker so try to refrain from mentioning any that are. Thanks

How big is your room?

Personally, given how little 7.1 programming that there currently is, I would tend to agree about considering a sub upgrade.

·
Registered
16,705 Posts
What kind of sub do you have?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

I have a Dayton Sub-1500 right now. Although it is currently suiting my needs I will definitely be adding a higher quality sub that can produce the full range of bass later on this year. It is an okay entry level sub I guess, but I was expecting a more powerful sound from this sub based on the Sub-1200 the reviews I read. I'm new to the home audio scene and I was expecting something that had the ability to deliver the chest pounding feeling that car-audio subwoofers can deliver. The sheer size of this thing made my expectations at least that high but either I was hoping for more than one should or this sub under-delivers.

But, for now, it is doing what I need it to do. My wife and I mostly watch sci fi or action/drama TV shows and this sub is definitely suited for that. However, I was very unimpressed when I tried out a few Battlestar Galactica episodes, Skyfall and Blackhawk Down. 

·
Registered
16,705 Posts
Sell your Dayton, put that $400 for speakers along with that toward a new sub, and you'd be able to get one that would produce amazing bass from 80hz on down, and thus negating some of the benefits of towers. Or look into the Premier Acoustics PA-150, which can generally be had for around $400.

However, if you want chest pounding bass, you need A LOT of sub. Subs need to pressurize a room for that effect. Think about it. The interior of an SUV is no bigger than a walk-in closet. Imagine how much sub you need to fill a room

Reactions: crazyrob425

·
Registered
7,997 Posts

I agree with those recommending a sub upgrade. When I upgraded to my XV15 I was shocked at the improvement in SQ for my setup. I never knew just how big a difference a good sub could make. Cel4145 makes some very good points above. 

·
Registered
29,115 Posts
you might want to use the 35B speakers as heights as they'll be easier to wall mount.

I do agree with the others that good subwoofer would be a better addition that 7.1.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

I currently have my 45B in the front surround position mounted with a set of these:

http://www.amazon.com/VideoSecu-Clamping-Mounting-Surrounding-MS56B/dp/B000X9O8SI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1393732021&sr=8-2&keywords=speaker+wall+mount

Very secure and work great.

These are "in-line" with my center channel above my TV using this:

http://www.amazon.com/CSB1206-Bracket-CSB-1206-Mounting-Speaker/dp/B0050AQ6M6/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1393732096&sr=8-7&keywords=center+channel+mount

This product felt very cheap and I had to make wood blocks because the screws weren't long enough to grab the thinner bezels on the LED TVs I guess.

As far as buying a new sub instead of the towers....wife won't go for that. It'd be easy to convince her the tower speakers are different and a necessary 'upgrade'. She will be very unhappy if I sell the sub to buy a more expensive one though. That will have to wait till my birthday....

Are there any noticeable differences between the 65T and 75T performance?

Would the older model 60 series or 70series monitors be ok if I found them at a good price or would the timbre not match? I'm not even really sure what that means either. 

Ya I guess the room is much bigger than a car interior too lol. I'm still learning. Thanks for the input and suggestions everyone.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRaymond  /t/1520380/7-1-setup-5-polk-speaker...or-standing-or-something-better#post_24427492

As far as buying a new sub instead of the towers....wife won't go for that. It'd be easy to convince her the tower speakers are different and a necessary 'upgrade'. She will be very unhappy if I sell the sub to buy a more expensive one though. That will have to wait till my birthday....

Are there any noticeable differences between the 65T and 75T performance?

Would the older model 60 series or 70series monitors be ok if I found them at a good price or would the timbre not match? I'm not even really sure what that means either. 

Ya I guess the room is much bigger than a car interior too lol. I'm still learning. Thanks for the input and suggestions everyone.
The Monitor's all sound the same only difference is in the box design. The 65t or 75t might be slightly different given the location of the tweeter but not drastically.

60's or 70's would be a match, HOWEVER unless you are running an amp through them there will be little difference. Adding a quality subwoofer and properly placing the Monitor 45b's would be a far better upgrade in terms in sound and budget. (You will be saving money in the long run. Which means more date nights with your wife or that she can get a new handbag or shoes she has been eyeing).

·
Registered
16,705 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrob425  /t/1520380/7-1-setup-5-polk-speaker...or-standing-or-something-better#post_24428906

The Monitor's all sound the same only difference in in the box design. The 65t or 75t might be slightly different given the location of the twitter but not drastically.

60's or 70's would be a better match, HOWEVER unless you are running an amp through them there will be little difference. Adding a quality subwoofer and properly placing the Monitor 45b's would be a far better upgrade in terms in sound and budget. (You will be saving money in the long run. Which means more date nights with your wife or that she can get a new handbag or shoes she has been eyeing).

+1

Also, one of the largest advantages of upgrading your fronts to the towers would be increased dynamics over the M45bs. If you are not experiencing clarity problems out of them as you turn them up to the louder volumes you listen to them, then the increased dynamics would offer no benefit.

However, if you want to add towers simply because they look cool, and then have 7.1 instead of 5.1--which may or may not sound better depending on placement--then go for it. But a good sub like the SVS PB-1000 would DEFINITELY be a sound upgrade to your setup.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts