AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there are two differing opinions on what to do with a 7.1 setup when sending it a 5.1 source audio; I can either leave is as it was mixed and have it leave the two surround back speakers alone, or process it with PLIIx to utilize the surround back speakers. I can't decide which one I prefer though, and was wondering if a poll would help me see what the consensus is on this topic.

·
Registered
5,226 Posts
Preference polls are meaningless. If 20 people say they use DPL IIX and 10 say they don't (or vice versa), what are you going to decide? You need to spend some time listening to both ways and make you own decision, not rely on others to tell you what your decision should be.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
I was not aware there was a disagreement on this subject. Pretty much everyone I know and everyone I came across in these forums use PLIIX.

·
Registered
30,800 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hd_newbie /forum/post/18266447

I was not aware there was a disagreement on this subject. Pretty much everyone I know and everyone I came across in these forums use PLIIX.

Not everybody.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesky636 /forum/post/18266291

Preference polls are meaningless. If 20 people say they use DPL IIX and 10 say they don't (or vice versa), what are you going to decide? You need to spend some time listening to both ways and make you own decision, not rely on others to tell you what your decision should be.

Well, I have been leaving the source untouched and not applying PLIIx. So if more people prefer it that way, I wouldn't bother spending the time switching back and forth trying to decide. But, however, if the majority of people say applying PLIIx sounds better to them, then I would.

·
Registered
30,800 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by smeg36 /forum/post/18266690

Well, I have been leaving the source untouched and not applying PLIIx. So if more people prefer it that way, I wouldn't bother spending the time switching back and forth trying to decide. But, however, if the majority of people say applying PLIIx sounds better to them, then I would.

So, the results of a popular vote are always optimum? Why not just do the experiment and see what you like best?

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I will, as suggested, try out both and see which I think sounds better. But would I apply the PLIIx to any 5.1 signal sent to the receiver, including a DTS 5.1 and LPCM 5.1? I have a PS3 fat that decodes and sends the audio as 5.1 LPCM. So would I still want to switch back and forth between unaltered and PLIIx if the source was a LPCM decoded from DTS-MA? Or should I use Neo:6 for a native DTS signal? Thanks for all the suggestions.

Additionally, how does this apply to video games that are 5.1. Obviously I wouldn't want to apply PLIIx Movie to a game.

·
Registered
16,945 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by smeg36 /forum/post/18266800

I will, as suggested, try out both and see which I think sounds better. But would I apply the PLIIx to any 5.1 signal sent to the receiver, including a DTS 5.1 and LPCM 5.1? I have a PS3 fat that decodes and sends the audio as 5.1 LPCM. So would I still want to switch back and forth between unaltered and PLIIx if the source was a LPCM decoded from DTS-MA? Or should I use Neo:6 for a native DTS signal? Thanks for all the suggestions.

You can apply whatever you prefer. That's why you have a choice. You paid good money for a 7.1 setup with multiple features. Do what you want to do with it. Most people would probably say to use PLIIx over Neo:6. But it is up to you. You decide. There is no correct way to do things. If you can rationalize a method as being better, go for it. Frankly, if you went to the effort to assemble a 7 speaker system, I do not understand why you wouldn't want to use them all.

(Be aware that some AVRs cannot apply PLIIx to 5.1 LPCM.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by smeg36 /forum/post/18266800

Obviously I wouldn't want to apply PLIIx Movie to a game.
Why not?

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadselim /forum/post/18266951

Why not?

So is there not some different processing going on between movie, music, and game listening modes? My receiver, a Onkyo TX-SR606, has the three options. But I couldn't apply PLIIx to a DD 5.1 game using the game listening mode. So I've just been leaving it at DD with the surround back silent.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by smeg36 /forum/post/18266981

So is there not some different processing going on between movie, music, and game listening modes? My receiver, a Onkyo TX-SR606, has the three options. But I couldn't apply PLIIx to a DD 5.1 game using the game listening mode. So I've just been leaving it at DD with the surround back silent.

There may be, depending on the mode. For example, center channel is used less intensively in THX for Music than THX for Movies.

·
Registered
16,945 Posts

Quote:

So is there not some different processing going on between movie, music, and game listening modes?

Well, obviously, there must be a difference. But what a particular mode is called by your AVR should not restrict you from applying it to any DD5.1 material if you wish. The AVR doesn't 'know' what the source material is. It can't distinguish a game soundtrack from a movie soundtrack. Especially since it is probably being sent there as 5.1 LPCM.

Quote:

But I couldn't apply PLIIx to a DD 5.1 game using the game listening mode.

I don't know why. Unless your "game listening mode" automatically restricts that. Which might imply that it is not really playing back in DD5.1. Are you applying the "game listening mode" to the 5.1 LPCM that you are passing from the PS3? If so, you may not really be listening in plain DD5.1. That "game listening mode" is probably for game soundtracks that are NOT already encoded as DD5.1. With a game that is truly DD5.1 encoded and being passed to the AVR as 5.1 LPCM, you would simply want to apply PLIIx (whichever specific movie, music, or game mode you prefer) atop the 5.1 LPCM.

Are you certain you can apply PLIIx to the 5.1 LPCM you are passing from your PS3?

·
Registered
9,081 Posts
Dolby, DTS, THX, and many other companies have their own flavors of digital signal processors. For the most part, there's no relationship between the codec used to encode a soundtrack on a disc and the DSPs that you apply once the soundtrack is decoded. The DSPs are applied to the PCM after decoding. It's not like there's some advantage to using PLIIx with Dolby sources and Neo:6 with DTS sources.

And, it's not wrong to use PLII music instead of PLII movie when watching stereo TV shows. The music mode creates a wider front stage, which I happen to prefer. So, I use it instead of the movie or game modes.

Each of these DSPs modifies the original PCM in its own unique way. I suggest you use the one(s) that sound good to you.

·
Registered
582 Posts

Quote:

i highly recommend PLIIx. love it to death. very faithful and natural.

as for your question, here's how i understand it:

movie mode applies an algorithm to remove the rear-area localized sounds from the sides and place them accordingly in the rears.

music mode does the same thing, but doesn't remove the sound from the sides, just duplicates it to the rears, since accurate location imaging is not a big deal like it is for movies.

as for gaming mode, it's a bit of an oddly choiced name. it only works for and is meant for stereo sound games. i leave movie mode on for 5.1 games and it works great. and don't forget most ps3 games are 7.1 off the bat.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadselim /forum/post/18267153

Are you certain you can apply PLIIx to the 5.1 LPCM you are passing from your PS3?

Yes it will. I'm doing so right now on a movie for my son. The DD5.1 game is bitstream coming from an Xbox 360. I guess my game listening mode restricts PLIIx.

·
Registered
30,800 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hd_newbie /forum/post/18267081

Quote:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

Not everybody.

sure, but

Quote:
Quote:

Originally Posted by hd_newbie View Post
Pretty much everyone I know and everyone I came across in these forums use PLIIX.

Hi. Not anymore.

·
Registered
5,226 Posts
Like I said: Preferance polls (or as Kal put it, "popular votes") are meaningless.

Listen and decide on your own and ignore what others say.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
I _think_ that in my AVR, if i don't use PLIIx, it doesn't use the rear speakers. Seems like a waste of a perfectly good 7.1 setup if i don't run everything as 7.1

And if you want to be technical about it: 5.1 speaker layout is different from 7.1 speaker layout. When you have a 7.1 speaker layout, i don't see why you would want to run anything in 5.1, because the speakers are simply not laid out according to 5.1 placement spec.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts