AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking into setting up a 7.1 system and here's the placement I'm considering. The room is such that the the side and back surrounds, if placed properly according to Dolby's recommendations, would be very close together. If I put my side surrounds about a foot in front of the main listening position, I could have the rear surrounds in the back corners of the room aiming 45 degrees towards the main listening position.

Has anyone tried this? How does it sound? Should the side surrounds be rotated a certain way since they're now a foot in front of the listening position? I was still planning on having them at 90 degrees. Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
22,656 Posts
Why not just set up a 5.1 configuration? It will probably sound just as good (or better?) than an improperly configured 7.1 setup.
(Not being snarky... just throwing out a suggestion/opinion)

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The thing is I already have the speakers so I'm trying to make use of them. I don't think it'd be entirely misconfigured. I'd still have speakers around me, just that the side surrounds are a tad in front of where'd they normally be.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I had the same problem and I tried the 7 speaker set up. It wasn't bad and I had it that way for a while but in the end I went with 5. All you can do is try it and see how it sounds to you. After all experimenting is part of the hobby.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had the same problem and I tried the 7 speaker set up. It wasn't bad and I had it that way for a while but in the end I went with 5. All you can do is try it and see how it sounds to you. After all experimenting is part of the hobby.
Any reason why you went back to 5.1? Did it yield any improvements when you had the 7 speaker setup?

·
Registered
585 Posts
Why not just set up a 5.1 configuration? It will probably sound just as good (or better?) than an improperly configured 7.1 setup.
(Not being snarky... just throwing out a suggestion/opinion)
+1

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
...The room is such that the the side and back surrounds, if placed properly according to Dolby's recommendations, would be very close together. If I put my side surrounds about a foot in front of the main listening position, I could have the rear surrounds in the back corners of the room aiming 45 degrees towards the main listening position.....
This sounds like an issue of listening position placement. Any chance the LP is on a wall?

What happens if you pull the listening position out a foot or two? If you were sitting against a wall, getting surround placement right would be a secondary benefit.

HAve fun,
Frank

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
...The room is such that the the side and back surrounds, if placed properly according to Dolby's recommendations, would be very close together. If I put my side surrounds about a foot in front of the main listening position, I could have the rear surrounds in the back corners of the room aiming 45 degrees towards the main listening position.....
This sounds like an issue of listening position placement. Any chance the LP is on a wall?

What happens if you pull the listening position out a foot or two? If you were sitting against a wall, getting surround placement right would be a secondary benefit.

HAve fun,
Frank
It's not exactly up against a wall but close enough and narrow enough to where the rear and side surrounds would be very close together. It's not that I can't get proper placement. I'm just wondering if it would be improper to move them further apart with the caveat that the side surrounds would be slightly in front of the listening position.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Sounds like you got the confirmation you were looking for already, but thought I'd chime in just in case.

I have my side surrounds position slightly ahead of the MLP with great results. Placement is flexible... you can place them several degrees in front, behind, to the side, ear height, up high, and they'll still sound great.

Don't even think about going 5.1 if 7.1 is possible. Rears add significantly to a HT system, and bonus if you listen to upmixed 2ch music.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sounds like you got the confirmation you were looking for already, but thought I'd chime in just in case.

I have my side surrounds position slightly ahead of the MLP with great results. Placement is flexible... you can place them several degrees in front, behind, to the side, ear height, up high, and they'll still sound great.

Don't even think about going 5.1 if 7.1 is possible. Rears add significantly to a HT system, and bonus if you listen to upmixed 2ch music.
Thanks for the input!

Read up on some interesting things while I was looking this issue up. The reference I linked to actually has Dr. Floyd Toole recommending that side surrounds be a little forward of the MLP to provide a more enveloping sound field (in a 7.1 setup) - and actually, he does this in his own personal home theater as well: http://www.soundandvision.com/content/advice-audio-insider Besides going against Dolby and THX recommended side surround placements, he also does something that would might make quite a few here cringe: he puts a speaker in a bookshelf! I'm not one to argue against one of the famous acoustic engineers in the world, but apparently it works for him.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
When I built my addition, 15 x 21 interior, I thought the placement of my surround in walls would be 2 feet above seated ear level and slightly behind. But when it came time to bring in the furniture, the surrounds are 2 feet ahead. (Wife). The backs are up high and 6 feet away.

Like Spanglo says, I am happy with the way things turned out. Maybe later today I will re-configure my setup as a 5.2 and try using only the sides and then only the backs and see what happens.

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Like Spanglo says, I am happy with the way things turned out. Maybe later today I will re-configure my setup as a 5.2 and try using only the sides and then only the backs and see what happens.
Just make sure to use 7.1 source for test.

The Dolby Atmos Amaze demo would be great for comparison. There's a point in the demo where they demonstrate 360 degree sound with a bird flying around the room. You should definitely hear a difference between 5.1 and 7.1.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
He knows good sound, but he also knows how hard it is to completely screw things up! Practicalities matter in the real world; very few of us have our HTs set up "by the book."
Frank
Practicalities are sometimes hard to achieve in the real world, the subwoofer crawl is a great example. As practicle as it is, it is sometimes difficult to put them where they sound the best because of room layout and the female of the house.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts