AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

finally I am setting a 7.1 surround sound and I am puzzled by the speakers placement process.

I have 4 floorstanders (2 of them 58" tall), two wall mount speakers, a center channel and two subs. That you believe it or not, i don't have a dedicated room, and all this goes into living room.

The room is far from a perfect auditorium, but i'll do what i can... it doesn't have to be perfect.

My plan: the floorstanders positioned in the front and in the back, ear level. the side speakers to be mounted high up to about 6 ft. (ceiling is 8ft). If i position them to the ear level one of the left speaker would be too close to the lister especially when sitting on that side of the sofa, while being to far from the other side's.

I am wondering what 's the theory behind it. By mounting high i thought that I would have brought the speaker to 7 ft distance as opposed to 3-4ft. But I wonder what I am missing by not to have them at level with the other speakers.

I know I could try but I cannot do it without drilling holes all over the place.

Any indication, thoughts would be appreciated.

Thank you

·
Registered
5,118 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by orologio /forum/post/16983483

Hello,

finally I am setting a 7.1 surround sound and I am puzzled by the speakers placement process.

I have 4 floorstanders (2 of them 58" tall), two wall mount speakers, a center channel and two subs. That you believe it or not, i don't have a dedicated room, and all this goes into living room.

The room is far from a perfect auditorium, but i'll do what i can... it doesn't have to be perfect.

My plan: the floorstanders positioned in the front and in the back, ear level. the side speakers to be mounted high up to about 6 ft. (ceiling is 8ft). If i position them to the ear level one of the left speaker would be too close to the lister especially when sitting on that side of the sofa, while being to far from the other side's.

I am wondering what 's the theory behind it. By mounting high i thought that I would have brought the speaker to 7 ft distance as opposed to 3-4ft. But I wonder what I am missing by not to have them at level with the other speakers.

I know I could try but I cannot do it without drilling holes all over the place.

Any indication, thoughts would be appreciated.

Thank you

Surround speakers for movie watching should be mounted higher than the listeners ears. For music they are usually mounted at the same level as the listeners ears and pointed toward them. The idea is for movies you want the sound behind you to be diffuse so as to not distract from the action in front of you. For multichannel music you want to be in the middle of things.

The problem you will have with your set up will show up the most in pans around the back of the room. If a helicopter flys from left to right behind you, it will appear to dip down as it passes behind you and then rise at the side speakers.

If I were you, I would ditch the rear floostanders and replace them with speakers identical to the side surrounds. Or just stick with a 5.1 system using either the floorstanders or the side surrounds.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank for the reply.

All you said makes sense. But I can't get myself to ditch the rear floorstanders, they were my first hi-end speakers that I ever bought, now vintage, and I am sentimantal about old good stuff. and in my life I have yet to hear as good midrange sound as those speaker (kef 107). But I will try to mount the side speakers not as high, perhaphs just a foot or two above listeners. Aso, Ithe problem with mounting speakers in the rear on the back wall is that they would be to far, farther than the front speakers (14ft), as now the kefs stand at about 6ft in diagonal - about 3ft in streight line, but I could perhaps increase that if I have to. The fronts are at about 10ft from seating position.

·
Registered
16,933 Posts
It will be fine. You do what you have to do. We often have to make compromises, especially for a LR system. That said, it sounds like you may be a bit squeezed for space. If so, bluesky's suggestion of using only a 5.1 system is something to consider.

BTW, within reason, there is not really such a thing as having the rear speakers "too far". One of the main functions of your AVR is to provide the proper delays for your speakers as well as properly balanced output levels. There is nothing at all wrong with having your rear speakers further away than your front speakers.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I ended up putting the back floorstanders 3 feet further, now at about 9ft and left the sides' high up. I think it works pretty well, but I need to live with it for a while to have real impression on the set up.

The room is quite large for what it is, 28'x24 but L shape. That's why one of the sides's is closer to the couch. 5.1 worked well but I am all 7.1 now.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts