AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering what the general consensus is in regard to placing the side speakers slightly in front, as opposed to side or slightly back, in a 7.1 single row surround sound configuration.

Please share your experience.

Thank You

·
Registered
5,079 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by orologio /forum/post/17028681

I was wondering what the general consensus is in regard to placing the side speakers slightly in front, as opposed to side or slightly back, in a 7.1 single row surround sound configuration.

Please share your experience.

Thank You

I think the lack of responses to your question is pretty indicative of the consensus.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
I was forced to place my side surrounds approx. 1 foot forward of the single row in my 7.1 setup (due to physical obstructions in the room) on speaker stands.

Since I could not place them parallel or behind this row, I cannot compare or contrast the effect of placement.

What I can relate to you is that I finally was immersed in surround sound that I never achieved with 5.1 (with surround backs on the rear wall).

What may have mitigated any negatives in my surround side placement is the use of tripoles there. I experience believable environmental cues along the sides and back; I don't know what the result would sound like with monopoles there. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
30,679 Posts
Placing your side speakers slightly forward of the sweet spot won't be a problem in a 7.1-speaker set-up. In fact, it can help give the impression of a wide front soundstage (will likely sound spectacular if you ever listening to music in surround). Keep in mind that there'll still be a pair of rear speakers behind you to anchor the "surround" effect.

To compensate for the side speakers being forward of the sweet spot, I would place the rear speakers further apart than the typically recommended 60 degree spread. This will lessen the separation between the side and rear speakers, so that front-to-back pans sound smoother rather than jumping from the front soundstage to the surround field.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani /forum/post/17045387

To compensate for the side speakers being forward of the sweet spot, I would place the rear speakers further apart than the typically recommended 60 degree spread. This will lessen the separation between the side and rear speakers, so that front-to-back pans sound smoother rather than jumping from the front soundstage to the surround field.

Yeah, I have my sides slightly ahead of my listening position (but under a foot, probably five, six inches ahead) and my rears are spaced wider than usual.

There is probably a hole in the soundstage directly behind me, but I've never noticed it.

Reactions: dkfan9

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for your replies.

It's all i wanted to hear... before drilling holes once again. my back floorstander speakers are Already wide enough, positioned by the side walls.

Now that I see it is not that a 'crazy idea' , I will definately give it a try.

Thanks again for sharing.

·
Registered
628 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani /forum/post/17045387

]

Good advice here.

I did the exact same thing with my last setup, worked wonders.

I had essentially two rows of seating. The side speakers were directly to the side of the first row, but about 20 degrees in front of the second row, if that makes sense. The front row sounded fantastic. When sitting in the back, the surround field was super-enveloping, a bit too much for my taste. But many people loved it.

My rear surrounds were only about a foot closer together than my side surrounds, but the distance, front to back, from my fronts to the side surrounds was the same as the side surrounds to the rear surrounds. Hope that makes some sense.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.