AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a 5.1 set-up with Wilson speakers all around (ex sub woofer). I have Watt Puppy L/Rs, and a Watch center and surrounds.

My question is about the surrounds. The Watch surrounds are not bipoles/dipoles. I think this is o.k. for rears in a 5.1 set-up. However, I'm moving to a new house and plan to set up 7.1 sound. My sense is that in a 7.1 set-up, I want true bipole/dipoles for the sides throwing sound away from the listener (with the rears o.k. as direct radiating speakers still pointed at the listener). If so, I'm not sure what to do as I don't want to go to another brand for just the sides, and don't think Wilson makes matched bipole or dipole surrounds/sides.

Any advice would be appreciated. I know there's a significant chance I'm out to lunch in my understanding of this issue.

Thanks.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Krynos
Direct radiating all round. Identical speakers if possible.

- Rick

So that means you think two more Watch Surround will be fine as sides right?

Do you just point them at the listener? What do you think the pros/cons are vs. dipoles/bipoles?

Thanks alot, I appreciate the help.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Be careful...

Some people prefer the direct radiating approach on the sides, other so not. IMHO I think a lot depends on how close you are seated to the side speakers and how large the room is.

Some companies make speakers that are switchable between bi/di/direct... the Revel Embrace comes to mind. These may be a good match for you system. I would consider calling Wilson. They may have some input on this.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by ELMitz
Be careful...

Some people prefer the direct radiating approach on the sides, other so not. IMHO I think a lot depends on how close you are seated to the side speakers and how large the room is.

Some companies make speakers that are switchable between bi/di/direct... the Revel Embrace comes to mind. These may be a good match for you system. I would consider calling Wilson. They may have some input on this.

Thanks, good advice. I emailed Wilson yesterday, I hope (and expect, I think they're pretty good) I'll hear back from them soon.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.