AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi-

I am setting up my media room and want to put in 7.1 speakers. Can someone please recommend a suggested configuration for the speakers ?

I am considering one of these receivers
Sony STR-DN840 7.2 or
Onkyo TX-NR636 7.2

Please suggest. Thanks.

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
Is that budget for an AVR, 7 speakers and a subwoofer?

·
Registered
7,093 Posts
Well the Infinity Primus P363 are on sale for $99 each.

If you have a frys close to you they have the Polk Audio TSi300 for $45 and the Polk Audio TSi400 for $65.

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
You're in luck and buying at the right time: Emp Tek is now having a holiday sale: Their $225 / pair bookshelf speakers (R5Bi … formally named E5Bi) is now $169 / pair. So 2 pair would be $338. Their mini bookshelf speaker (E3b) at $125 / pair is also on sale for $69 / pair, so now you're up to $407 for 6 speakers. Add in their $195 center channel (R5Ci) now on sale for $146 and you're at $553. This is good until November 30th. Now you have enough for a really good subwoofer such as the Outlaw Audio LFM-1 Plus, normally at $610 shipped is now on sale for $449 shipped.

A complete 7 speaker system and an excellent one at that (I own the R5Bi's). Obviously, that doesn't include speaker stands, cabling or wiring. You can also talk to Brian at EMP Tek about the cost of a single R5Bi for your center channel (could save you $62) instead of the R5Ci. This is what I've done and it works great, even when positioned on its side.

http://emptek.com/BlackFriday14.php
Andrew Robinson review: http://hometheaterreview.com/emp-tek-e5bi-bookshelf-speaker-reviewed/

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well the Infinity Primus P363 are on sale for $99 each.

If you have a frys close to you they have the Polk Audio TSi300 for $45 and the Polk Audio TSi400 for $65.
You're in luck and buying at the right time: Emp Tek is now having a holiday sale: Their $225 / pair bookshelf speakers (R5Bi … formally named E5Bi) is now $169 / pair. So 2 pair would be $338. Their mini bookshelf speaker (E3b) at $125 / pair is also on sale for $69 / pair, so now you're up to $407 for 6 speakers. Add in their $195 center channel (R5Ci) now on sale for $146 and you're at $553. This is good until November 30th. Now you have enough for a really good subwoofer such as the Outlaw Audio LFM-1 Plus, normally at $610 shipped is now on sale for $449 shipped.

A complete 7 speaker system and an excellent one at that (I own the R5Bi's). Obviously, that doesn't include speaker stands, cabling or wiring. You can also talk to Brian at EMP Tek about the cost of a single R5Bi for your center channel (could save you $62) instead of the R5Ci. This is what I've done and it works great, even when positioned on its side.

http://emptek.com/BlackFriday14.php
Andrew Robinson review: http://hometheaterreview.com/emp-tek-e5bi-bookshelf-speaker-reviewed/

I don't see an option for tower speakers here ?

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
sandelav: One doesn't need towers if you have a subwoofer. The subwoofer will take over all the lower frequencies, and a heck of a lot deeper than any tower. Plus, I was trying to keep within your $1,000 budget, which included a great sub. If you look at the URL I gave you, you will see the EMP Tek R55Ti towers @ $521 / pair.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
The Infinity P363s are good speakers for the "price" but they would never be considered "really good" on this forum.

Today I noticed that I had accidently unplugged my front sub (BIC f12) several weeks ago while moving stuff around. I never even missed the sub, so now I am thinking about getting two more P363s for the back speakers since they are only $99 each.

My image below is a "screen" of 169 inches (16:9) so you can see that they are fairly large.

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The Infinity P363s are good speakers for the "price" but they would never be considered "really good" on this forum.

Today I noticed that I had accidently unplugged my front sub (BIC f12) several weeks ago while moving stuff around. I never even missed the sub, so now I am thinking about getting two more P363s for the back speakers since they are only $99 each.

My image below is a "screen" of 169 inches (16:9) so you can see that they are fairly large.
Thanks Steve. I am ordering them now. Can you please recommend the rest of the speakers for my 7.1 ?

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
One more of the Infinity P363 beside the P163. It is not a bad looking speaker for $99 and you would still have money left over for a good subwoofer.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
The P163 is large and heavy, but the P153s at $49 right now might be just right. Here is my P153 with an Energy speaker on top to show the size difference.

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
One more of the Infinity P363 beside the P163. It is not a bad looking speaker for $99 and you would still have money left over for a good subwoofer.
So far i have these in the cart
2 X P363
2 X P163
1 X PC351

I think I need two more and a sub woofer. The total of my cart is sitting at $540 now.

Please advise

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
You could go with 2 P363s ($200), PC351 ($199), four P153s ($200) or four P163s ($240) and still have money left over for a good sub. (All prices are Amazon.)

Oops. That was fast.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You could go with 2 P363s ($200), PC351 ($199), four P153s ($200) or four P163s ($240) and still have money left over for a good sub. (All prices are Amazon.)

Oops. That was fast.
Okay .. I think I will go with the 4XP163s. The only thing left is the sub woofer and I have close to $400. Since this is an important purchase, whats the recommendation ?

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
On the sub, the BIC F12 is just okay and I am sure you can get a better recommendation.

·
Registered
7,093 Posts
I don't see an option for tower speakers here ?

you dont see an option and what did you just purchase lol.:wink:

same towers that I was reccomending.

enjoy your new system.

·
Registered
7,093 Posts

why you said that, many people in audio forums own this speakers and they are totally satisfied.;)

1 - 20 of 44 Posts