AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am setting up a 7.1 system. I have a couple of layout questions.

Speakers are Velodyne CHT Front Row which i'll be hanging on the walls.

1) The center doesn't have anyplace to hook a hanger into. I've read a lot on here about fronts at ear level and lining up tweeters. I now have to put the center on the audio stand, about 24" off the floor. I want to put the 2 fronts on the side of the Tv, about 48". Will it be a really big issue?

2) The side speakers. Due to an overhang on one side of the room, about 7' off the floor to the ceiling and a patio door on the other side, I can't put them even with or slightly behind my seats without one being higher than the other, 6 1/2' vs 7 1/2'. I could put them slightly in front of the seating area at level height about 3' above seats. Is this ok if I aim them towards the seats? I'm afraid of them mixing in to much with the fronts?

3) I have a pic of the dolby 7.1 setup but it doesn't tell you the proper hight of the rears. Is 8' up 3' behind, facing down towards the seats ok?

I know it always can't be perfect, but I wanted to get some opinions before I hang them. Thanks

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Q1- No. I have the same situation and it is fine. My mains are towers and the center is lower. Ideally your mains should be a bit lower but life is compromise.

Q2- Surrounds ahead of the listener will work. Experiment. But having a one foot difference in height won't hurt either. So putting them behind and at different heights will work and jets and bullets will fly correctly.

Q3- As far as I can tell Dolby Labs suggestion of slightly above ear level should be taken as applying to the rear surrounds.

Eight feet up and angled down will be fine for the rear surrounds (fine whether or not the sides are at 7 or 7 feet or lower).

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
I had to put my side surrounds slightly ahead of the seating, too. My rears are slightly behind (I can't put anything on the back wall due to a large set of curtains standing in the way.)

It's not optimal, but it still sounds good to me.

I have my center above my TV and the fronts slightly lower, lining up with the top of the TV. Since they do most of the work, I think their placement is more important.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.