AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of setting up three different rooms for 7.1 sound, with In Wall Speakers. One of the rooms has no right side (the right side opens up to a Great Room). I was trying to decide which is better (in both scenarios the left, right, center, and SW channels are on the front wall of this room):

1. the Rear Surrounds on the Inside of the back wall, and the 7.1 channels on the left and right of the Rear Surrounds. Thus there would be an array of 4 speakers on the back wall: the two outside speakers would be for the 7.1 channels, and the two inside speakers would be the surround channels.

OR...

2. the Rear Surrounds on the back wall, and the 7.1 channels on the ceiling facing downwards, about 1/3rd inside the room from the back wall. These would, in this case, be the ONLY speakers located on the ceiling.

I would very much appreciate any feedback re which would be the best placement compromise for speakers in this particular room.

Thanks!

·
Registered
453 Posts
Is there anyway that you can post a drawing of your room and options. I'm very visual!!:)

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It would be too complex on this end, but just envision a rectangular room, with front and rear walls being the shorter length walls. and ONE long side wall of the room rectangle. The other long side of the rectangle is not there because that side of the rectangle is just open space (connects to adjoining large open area).

_front wall_________

|

|

|

|

| (wide open space)

|left wall

|

|

|

|_|rear wall________

Hope the above diagram helps!

·
Registered
453 Posts
Man,

I'm lost on what to offer to you on this one. I would imagine that the in-ceiling set-up would work just fine with the proper tweaking. Have you gone to a A/V installer to pick their brains at all? They might have some very good solution that has not been considered.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!!

·
Registered
226 Posts
I have the same room configuration and dilemma. However, all my surrounds are definitely going in the ceiling. The big question for me is diffusion vs. imaging. I am tempted to go with omnipolars or wide dispersion rounds for the rear surrounds near the back wall, and more direct imaging rounds for the sides, placed a few feet further forward from the back wall. The rears would be closer together than the sides. I think this makes sense. A big issue is the couch. I presume yours will be along the back wall. Mine will. In this situation, some feel that 7.1 is not worth it and a better solution is to just go with 5.1 using more direct imaging speakers for the "sides". These would be positioned more or less over the couch ends in the ceiling. Tweeters should be pivoting and aimed into the prime listening area. Comments and critiques welcomed!! Have I got it right?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry for not responding sooner...I had server problems.

I appreciate the responses. My solution will be virtually identical to yours, rc, in that I am going to place adjustable, downward firing 7.1 channels in the ceiling, about one third in from the back wall and in line with the rear surround speakers. The rear couch is about 18" from the back wall, and doesn't apprear to block the sound on the current inwalls (which I am upgrading as part of this installation). I absolutely suggest going for 7.1, and IMO since this channel adds ambiant information, it should be fine (I hope...;-)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.