AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In a 5.1 system speaker placement I always had my side monopole surrounds back about 20degrees up 2 to 3 feet on the side walls.

Now that I will be going 7.1 with 2 speakers on the back wall of my theater is it recommened I move my side surrounds up so they are parellel with me or slightly in front of me on the side walls? I have heard this recomendation is this a good one or should I leave my side surrounds 20degrees behind me on the side walls for the DTs-ES,THX-EX setup.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am not refering directly to the side of me, I am refering about directly to the side of me on the walls. I will be in the middle of the room so the speakers will be a good 10ft away from my ears.

I do want direct localized surround sound and do not believe in dipoles or bipoles.

I do not want this to be a monopole/dipole argument. I was just curios with 4 monopoles and DTS-ES, EX are the speaker placement requirements different than 5.1 monopole recommend side placement 20degrees behind the sweet spot and 2 to 3ft on the side walls.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I had the same question myself a while back. Through trial and error I determined that whater sounds best in 5.1 with that set up will also sound the best with 7.1. It is my opinion that you should not move your speakers. Also just as a note I found that the far back Rears(7.1) should be more toward the middle of the room than the back corners. Just my two cents..

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cool. I just figured you could hear more surround sound effects, ie suttle effects like a bird chirping, etc by moving the side speakers up to say 5 or 10 degrees behind the sweetspot as opposed to 20degrees. I mean now that you have rear centers there is no need to place the side surrounds too far back on the side wall.

BTW the ITU recommends the surrounds be placed 110degrees off center or 20degrees behind your sweetspot.

·
Registered
828 Posts
I have a 7.1 set up and have been experimenting with options.

First, on the sides and rear I have "both" monopole and dipole stacked, so with a quick plug/unplug, I can have mono, di, or tripole operation.

(VMPS Tower IIs with Dipoles sitting on top)

Second, the monopoles are directly "on axis" to the side

Third, these speakers are "not" on the walls. They set out from the walls (yes even the dipoles) approximately the same distance as the mains.

I have found that this "setup" covers all requirments for most every processing system, including THX, and Multichannel music since I can run any "pole" or combination I wish.

While most 7.1 setup diagrams will show the sides a few degrees to the rear of the listening position, I have found this "monopole on axis) side direct to work the best.

And I might mention that the sides are 7 feet from the listening position and the enveloping coherency is not impacted negatively, and pans, effects, and localization seems to be spot perfect.

This distance corresponds roughly with the distance from the mains (about 8 feet)

And as a final note I would say that 80% of the time I run in "tripole", which gives a fantastic sense of "sonic envelopment" while providing exact localization when it is present.

John

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.