Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all,

With a 7.1 system is it typical to place rear channel speakers approx. 1/4 and 3/4 distance across the back? 1/3 and 2/3?

With two rows of seating, where do you place the side speakers?

More towards row one? or row two? or get two sets and place in line with both rows?

Thanks, construction starts soon :)

Ken

·
Registered
366 Posts
I have always used what I call the "selfish" approach. I gear the whole room to one seat. I think it is what most people in the know recommend, anyways. No one is going to be as critical of your system as you. Set all levels etc to one seat and call it yours :)

As to the placement of rear speakers....See if the manufacturer of your speakers has a spec. The manuals for my speakers have recommended distances, etc in them..Mine are about 1/3...2/3 but it has more to do with available space than with a certain spec. Also, it will depend on your pre/pro or reciever. Trial and error is probably the best way to figure it out :) Good luck :)

·
Registered
6,434 Posts
I've just recently set-up my 7.1 system, and my rears are 4.5 feet apart (center to center) and 3.5 feet from each side wall.

I did read they have to be angled down toward the listening area to stop reflections back from the screen area - that would give the impression the sound was coming from the front. I've built my own rear stands with a slight down firing angle, and will use blu-take to hold them in place.

The reason my speakers are where they are is due to where the side speakers are - if I had the rears too far apart, they would be firing forward almost at the side speakers, which are about 1ft in from the side walls.

I've yet to fully test them to see how they work in this position, but I have used a sound meter to balance all speakers to my center seat. :)

I'm currently using ordinary direct radaiating speakers, but I have some Eltax HT 2 bi-poles I'm going to try to see if that makes any real difference to the back surround. I tried them in the side surround position, buit I didn't like them. I prefer direct radiators at the sides.

I'll get some pics done and post them on my web site soonish.

Gary.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.