AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick Question....

I tried searching for an answer to this but to no avail..

My system:

Front: Athena F1.2

Center: Athena C1.2

Surrounds: Athena B1.2

Sub: HSU STF - 1

Ok so my question has to do with upgrading to a 7.1 system since I finally got around to upgrading my reciever. What I wanted to know was for the 2 rear speakers would it be a problem to use smaller speakers than the surrounds or should i stick with the same speakers i am using for the surrounds. In my room situation it would be alot easier to set up smaller bookshelves but I wasnt sure if this would screw up the soundstage. So I was hoping for some opinions from some of the people here who do use a 7.1 system. Do you use the same speaker for all 4 surrounds? Or are there some sort of rules I should be following for this? I am new to this 7.1 thing so any advice is helpful. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
29,199 Posts
I would use a pair of B1.2 speakers for the rears, spread roughly 60 degrees apart. Since our human hearing is not very good behind us, using direct firing monopoles will make it easier to discern left-vs-right stereo separation at the back of the room.

For the side speakers, it would depend on how close the side walls are. If they are pretty far away, I would place a pair of B1.2s directly to the sides of the main listening seat, mounted at least a couple of feet above ear level.

However, if the side walls are close to the listeners sitting on either end of the couch, then I would use Athena's R1.2 bipole surrounds. When trying to concentrate on a movie, nothing is more distracting than having a direct firing monopole speaker shouting into one of your ears from a couple of feet away. Using diffuse speakers, with their balance of direct and reflected energy, will give good directionality on either side of you without attracting attention to the speakers themselves.

Use the attached diagram as a starting point for your 7.1-speaker layout.

Good Luck,

Sanjay

·
Registered
142 Posts
Or if the room permits you could mount AS-R1.2 as surrounds and the B1.2 for the rears.

Also a good rule of thumb for speaker placement is the 3,5,or 7 method.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the help..

My Room unfortunatly does not allow me to have the sides mounted directly to the sides of the seating area so i have them hanging from the ceiling and pointed towards the listner. I actually was thinking of getting the R1.2's for the surrounds and moving the B1.2's to the rear. Any thoughts on using the Dipole speakers in this type of configuration. My room is not that big so I was afraid that the Dipoles would be overkill. Are my fears unfounded? Thanks again for any help as I try to get the best movie experience I can get.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Excuse my ignorance but what is the "3,5,7" method? This is the first time i have heard of it?

·
Registered
29,199 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellsya69 /forum/post/0

My Room unfortunatly does not allow me to have the sides mounted directly to the sides of the seating area so i have them hanging from the ceiling and pointed towards the listner.

That's fine. I wasn't as concerned with the height of the speakers as much as direction. Even if you're hanging them from the ceiling, try to keep them as much to your sides as possible, not forward or rearward of the listening area.

Sanjay

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks. You have been very helpful.

I think ill take your advice and pick up a pair of the R1.2's for my surrounds and move the B1.2's to the rear.

Oh well looks like its time to get the drill out again. Ah the wonderful world of upgrades!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts