AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend is looking into buying some crappy Bose Acoustimass 10 Series 3 speakers and i told him they are not usually highly regarded. He has a great reciever but can you guys recommend some good 7.1 speaker set for around $700 US? He wants good speakers that are relatively small and can either be in wall mounted or on the wall like Bose.

Thanks in advance.

Jay

·
Registered
Denon AVR-X3500H; Sony UBP-X800M2; EFE speakers; Outlaw Model M amps; SVS sub; Epson 8350 projector.
1,682 Posts
You would be doing him a favor if you convinced him to spend his $700 on 5 speakers now and later adding a sub and the 2 additional speakers. He won't get any decent speakers for $50 each (which is what he'd have if you assume he has to spend about $350 for a decent sub). There is not much made for 6.1 or 7.1 yet, so start with 5.1 and then add more speakers later.

He'd probably be best served (in the long run) by adding a bit to his budget and looking at the 5.1 packages from SVS and HSU.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah i think 5.1 would be a better route for him right now as well then add in 2 more speakers later. What is a good 5.1 system for $700ish?

I myself have an Onkyo HTiB i bought at half price when i worked at Circuit City about 5 years ago. I think it sounds pretty good personally. But he wants smaller speakers to kind of hide out of the way.

·
Registered
Denon AVR-X3500H; Sony UBP-X800M2; EFE speakers; Outlaw Model M amps; SVS sub; Epson 8350 projector.
1,682 Posts
I don't know of any good 5.1 system for $700. If your friend can increase his budget by about $300, and can live with bookshelf speakers, he could get an SVS system, an HSU system, or perhaps some other well-respected system. There are no even half way decent in-wall speakers I know of for even $1,000, much less for $700.

·
Registered
117 Posts
The real question is "Is a Bose 7.1 system available for $700?" If not, I don't really see how this is comparable. Wouldn't a Bose 7.1 be a lot more? Isn't a Bose 7.1 close to 2 grand? I dunno. Either way, check this out http://www.nextag.com/7.1-home-speak...er/search-html

It may not be amazing, but it should be better than Bose for less $$$ and allow for future upgrades w/o proprietary BS

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My friend bought a Harmon Kardon 7.1 reciever but bought Bose speakers and sub off of ebay piece meal style. That is how he has 7 speakers and 2 subs actually. Im trying to convince him otherwise about Bose..we shall see

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.