AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. New to all of this and was wondering if I could get some advice. I currently have a 5.1 setup like the attached image (excuse my rudimentary Paint skills). The surrounds are in-ceiling speakers set about 2 feet behind the listening position and about 10 - 12 feet apart. My receiver supports a 7.1 set up. Would it sound ok if I installed 2 rear in-ceiling speakers? Because of the back wall, the rear speakers would only be about a foot behind the surrounds.

I hope I'm describing this correctly, and thanks very much in advance for any advice you ccan give.

·
Registered
688 Posts
I've never been a fan of in-ceiling surrounds as it gives you an odd image coming from above instead of behind you where it should come from. Also being close to the rear wall will only hinder the sound. I myself only have a 5.1 system and found it more than adequate to portray surround effects. If it is properly implemented 5.1 and with the space constraint of your situation I would recommend you stick with your 5.1 system just because upgrading to 7.1 will have minimal gains. Most material now is still mixed in 5.1.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.