AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which speakers in a 7.1 configuration are the most important to have the fullest range? I am debating on a 2-tower or a 4-tower setup, with large bookshelves to round out the 7.1 setup, but I started wondering which "other two" (front L/R will obviously be towers) would be the best for the second set of towers, the two rears, or the two side surrounds?

I expect to use these for the "converted" 7 channel formats (PL2, or Logic7) on music, as well as for movies.

Thanks!

·
Registered
488 Posts
quickly,

i would say to go for the towers as rears, since dvd-a will tap into that.

---note i'm really pushing music here, more than ht. :)

-- my vote for your speakers would be some of the hardly heard about swans speakers. the diva line. -- almost no mention of them at all on this forum. ha,ha.....

;)

give them a peek at www.**********

sincerely,

brandon

·
Registered
888 Posts
For multi-channel the front center is as important as the front "mains." If you can at all figure out a way to use identical speakers across the front, you should. I ended up learning a tower on its side to make the front center speaker. Audiophiles are gasping as they read this, but other than a slight tonal change, which I can only discern by comparing white noise on the mains to white noise on the center, it is identical. It really makes a difference for vocals, sung or spoken.

·
Registered
30,178 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ssabin
I expect to use these for the "converted" 7 channel formats (PL2, or Logic7) on music, as well as for movies.
If you are planning on listening to a lot of music, I'd use the second set of towers on the sides. The side speakers are the ones that will draw the front image out into the room and along the sides. Because of this, you may want to use the same speakers on the sides as you use for your fronts to give you as smooth a blend as possible.

Also, since you mention Logic 7, if you do end up using these speakers with a Lexicon processor then the large sides will come in handy for Bass Enhance processing (which uses bass to from opposing sides to prevent the mono-sounding in-your-head bass).

Good Luck,

Sanjay

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.