AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I am writing a question here because I am at my wits end. I have spent hours on YouTube and reading through forums on this site, and I even called in as home theatre technician once, but I cannot get my 7.1 surround sound to work.

The system I have is a Integra DRX 3.1. The speakers definitely work as All Channel Stereo/Mono plays beautifully through all 8 speakers. However, even when connecting my laptop and setting the sound output to 7.1, the most I ever get is 5.1 in movies.

I have experimented with all the listening modes (including direct mode) and, again, the most I get is 5.1 even with blu-rays. I am only using a Samsung Blu-ray player and my aforementioned laptop, both connected via HDMI.

Admittedly he amp was acquired second-hand and I don't know if this is a pre-existing fault. Should I get a new one? Should I get a better Blu-ray player? Is there anything else I can try?

Thank you, all suggestions welcome since I have already resigned to the fact that I will have to watch movies in 5.1.

·
Registered
29,062 Posts
If you're using Dolby Surround or DTS:X sound modes you should get sound out of all 7 speakers. Press the movie button multiple times until you get one of those sound modes.

What is your configuration, 7.1 or 5.1.2? When you run the speaker setup how is it configured?

I doubt there is a problem with your Samsung Blu Ray, it can only output whatever content is available. It is set to Bistream the audio?

·
Premium Member
7,299 Posts
Hey all,

I am writing a question here because I am at my wits end. I have spent hours on YouTube and reading through forums on this site, and I even called in as home theatre technician once, but I cannot get my 7.1 surround sound to work.

The system I have is a Integra DRX 3.1. The speakers definitely work as All Channel Stereo/Mono plays beautifully through all 8 speakers. However, even when connecting my laptop and setting the sound output to 7.1, the most I ever get is 5.1 in movies.

I have experimented with all the listening modes (including direct mode) and, again, the most I get is 5.1 even with blu-rays. I am only using a Samsung Blu-ray player and my aforementioned laptop, both connected via HDMI.

Admittedly he amp was acquired second-hand and I don't know if this is a pre-existing fault. Should I get a new one? Should I get a better Blu-ray player? Is there anything else I can try?

Thank you, all suggestions welcome since I have already resigned to the fact that I will have to watch movies in 5.1.

If all the speakers work - then the unit is likely fine, it's an issue with setup or playing modes. As already mentioned, make sure the Samsung is set to bitstream audio. You could do a system reset back to default and start over with the set up.

·
Registered
3,028 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice,
@afrogt - It is a vanilla 7.1 setup (i.e. no Dolby Atmos or DTS X). Unfortunately I do not have anything in physical media that outputs in 7.1, only a couple of demos on my PC (which sounds like it is actually playing all-channel stereo for some reason). No matter what mode I put it on, always just plays in 5.1. The rear speakers are utterly dead in this case.

@Jonas2 - Okay will try a revert to default. The Blu-Ray player is indeed running in Dolby Bitstream or something... definitely not PCM that's for sure.
@smcmillan2 - Will look into it.

·
Registered
679 Posts
If you are inputting 5.1 (or less) material you will need to use the Dolby Pro logic 2 Movie mode to get sound out of your 2 rear speakers.

·
Premium Member
7,299 Posts
If you are inputting 5.1 (or less) material you will need to use the Dolby Pro logic 2 Movie mode to get sound out of your 2 rear speakers.

I don't know that this unit has that? Dolby Surround and DTS:X both should accomplish this, which the unit definitely has.

·
Registered
29,062 Posts
Dolby Surround has replaced PLII on newer receivers and would accomplish the same thing and more.

·
Registered
9,344 Posts

Hi Fridgetspeaker27, since acquired second hand...make sure Zone Speaker is set to NO found under Speaker Configuration menu. Or reset unit back to default as Jonas2 suggested then run AccuEQ Room Calibration with setup mic.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Dolby Surround has replaced PLII on newer receivers and would accomplish the same thing and more.

Yeah misunderstood him in a prior post and thought he had an older model.

My guess is zone 2 "powered" is enabled or the unit needs to be recalibrated.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey all,

I thought I'd write and say I finally got them working, but I am not entirely sure how. I simply switch Zone 2 on and off, and like magic the back two speakers come to life. I do with the button on the amp sitting right underneath the main power switch. All I do is press it once, it shows 'Zone 2 source' and press it again untill it says 'Zone 2 off' et voila, the back two speakers work in my 7.1 system.

Thank you for all the helpful suggestions.

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
If you didn't get a manual with the amp/AVR, search online for one.

Generally when an AVR is acquired secondhand, it's not a bad idea to perform a factory reset or "return to default settings," then use any automatic setup features to readjust the unit to YOUR speakers and listening environment. Just my 2¢.

Reactions: rboster
1 - 12 of 12 Posts