AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heres the scoop. I just bought a new tv (Samsung 8500) and a new receiver (Onkyo 607). I need some help putting together a nice 7.1 sound package. I was hoping to incorporate my old DCM KX-10 floor speakers. Its a normal to good size family room with vaulted ceilings. Should I just ditch the old floor speakers and buy a speaker package, or can they be incorporated? If so, should the be the front main speakers or middle? I was hoping to stay around 500-600 dollars if possible. I like the smaller speakers these days as they are easy to hide and will probably make the wife happy. The speakers would be used for tv/movie watching, video games for the kids, and of course music. Its a nice tv so I don't want to skimp on the sond either. Your advice is appreciated.

·
Registered
633 Posts
with that budget, i would suggest that you use the DCMs as mains and skip the 6/7 channel speakers. that way, you only need to buy center, surrounds, and a sub. yes...you want a sub.

across the front, it is important to 'voice match' the speakers. any chance DCM made a center with identical drivers to the kx-10? if not, think you could find another kx-10 on ebay? surrounds are less critical...i don't really have a suggestion, though i'm sure others will. for the sub, look at the little eD (elemental designs)...maybe the a2-300? hard to beat for the price.

·
Registered
490 Posts
return the tv, get a plasma for much less and spend the other $2k on a sound system. Much better setup IMHO.

Or you need to bump the budget up.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santapimp27 /forum/post/18281856

return the tv, get a plasma for much less and spend the other $2k on a sound system. Much better setup IMHO.

Or you need to bump the budget up.

Oh how I love audiophiles who don't think its possible to get good sound for $600 on speakers?. Not everyone here who comes hear can tell the difference from $600 speakers to $2000 speakers

----------------------------------------------------------

To the Original poster:

Extend your budget to $700(shipping included) you can get a great 5.0 set-up and just add a subwoofer later down the road

-Polk Monitor 70s ($230 each, newegg) for fronts

-Polk CS2 Center Channel ($130, newegg)

-Polk Monitor 30s ($110 pair, newegg) for surrounds

OR

-Polk Monitor 40s ($150 pair, newegg) fronts

-Polk CS1 Center Channel ($90, newegg)

-2x Polk Monitor 30s ($110 pair, newegg) surrounds

-BIC America V-1020 Subwoofer ($143 from amazon)

$603 with Shipping

·
Registered
633 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrob425 /forum/post/18282265

Not everyone here who comes hear can tell the difference from $600 speakers to $2000 speakers...

until they've heard the $2k speakers!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The room itself is about 15x15, but it opens up into the kitchen and kitchen table area, making it seem a little bigger. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
872 Posts
I'm not familiar with DCM but don't expect entry level new speakers to sound very good with music. My polk center was so bright with music I had to change the tweeter in it to a 20 year old tweeter that was designed for music and not HT.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Just about everyone has to stay within some budget, but keep in mind your speakers will last a lot longer than your T.V. will. My speakers are on their third T.V., and still sound great. Remember- the center and sub are the most important for TV/Home Theater.

·
Registered
490 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrob425 /forum/post/18282265

Oh how I love audiophiles who don't think its possible to get good sound for $600 on speakers?. Not everyone here who comes hear can tell the difference from $600 speakers to $2000 speakers

But when you really think about is, he is looking for a 7.1 setup. Thats 8 speakers. At $600, thats only $75 a speaker as opposed to $250 a speaker with a $2000 budget(not to mention the superior tv.) Thats fairly significant IMO

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Maybe 5.1 is the answer for now. I am a newbie to all this stuff, just now learning about "matching", frequency, etc. Is it hard to match the existing floor speakers with another brand center and rears? Maybe I just ditch the existing speakers and start new. The ability for both music and tv/movies is what I'm looking for. Thanks for all the help guys!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Also, what if I went with the Polk Monitor 50s for the front, CS-1 for center, what would you reccommend for rears (preferrabley something smaller that I can mount in the corners of the ceiling. Also, sub to go with it?

·
Registered
872 Posts
If you like your DCMs now for music I would definitely try to use them as your fronts. Maybe pick up a used center off craigslist. I used to have a $40 used cerwin vega center and it worked fine even tho it didn't match my 2 other fronts.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts