AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please help me with rear surround speaker choices!!

Just moved to a new house and am setting up a new HT room. I've currently got a swell 7.1 setup that includes Paradigm Reference 100 v.2's as mains (front) and Studio ADP diploes on the sides. In my old room, I had Studio 20's as rears, but in the new room, the rears will be within 1-2 feet of the last row of seating (further if wall mounted).

Here are my rear surround speaker choice assumptions/options based on the new room:

1. Use current Studio 20's = bad choice.

The 20's are rear ported and will perform poorly against a wall. In addition, as a direct-firing speaker, the 20's will be too close to the heads of guests in row 2 and will create more surround localization than I'd like for these seating positions.

2. Adding 2 more Studio ADP's = good choice.

I will be better off using dipoles as 2 rear channels, as they will provide more diffuse rear effects for both rows 1 and 2, eliminating any localization issues for row 2. Also, I can put these speakers (Studio ADP's) on stands at the back of the room and angle them toward the back wall to create even more diffuse back stage via. reflection that will benefit both rows 1 and 2. I could also mount these up higher on the back wall for less localization.

OK,

Please validate, make alternative suggestions, poke holes, find fault and guide me to the best surround alternative for my rear speakers!!

Cheers,

-Paul

·
Registered
859 Posts
Well.. my opinion is... if you do not have enough space to do 6/7.1, don't force it.

Or... maybe you can move the seats forward a bit?

and putting the s/20s too close to the wall imo isn't really a problem. Because it's bass that depends alot with the 'wall distance..' and rear surrounds generally don't have much bass.

·
Registered
832 Posts
I have a medium size room with ADP-370s for the rear and side surrounds. Was doing a little testing last night w/avia, and although I couldn't really excersize the rears too much (7.1 receiver is in the shop, using a borrowed 5.1 unit) , I must say the dipoles do a fine job.

My back row (if/when I add one) will be fairly close to the rear wall, so that was a consideration in going with the dipoles.

Eric.

·
Registered
383 Posts
If the Studio 20s sound too "localized" there are different approaches that you can take to diffuse the sound without going to the extreme that dipoles do.

In my Studio 40/CC/20 5.1 setup, I put the Studio 20 surrounds up high (about a foot above ear level), and point them directly at one another. Offset angle is the ITU standard 110 degrees off center. With movies in my 5.1 configuration, it slightly diffuses the ambient effects, but still provides enough directionality with the discrete surround cues. The rear port noise is a valid concern, but if you set the rear speakers to small, it should not create too much of a problem, especially since the sounds that go into the back surround are typically not going to be very demanding.

The drawback with using the Studio 20s as surrounds is that you need a set of speaker stands that are strong enough to support their 28 lb. weight and tall enough to elevate them above ear level. In most setups, that would be at least 36", and there are not a lot of sturdy speaker stands at that height. The stands that I use are adjustable from 6" to 45" and can support up to 100 lbs., but they also cost $350 a pair and weigh 65 lbs. each.

In a "7.1" configuration, I almost always hear that you should not use dipoles for the back surrounds if you're already using them for surround duty. The height adjustment is one approach to keep the back surrounds from sounding too localized. Another thing to keep on top of is the delay timing and the level setting. If those settings aren't done correctly, then the surrounds will sound abrupt and overly pronounced.

Or alternately, you can do without the back surrounds altogether if you really don't have enough room to reasonably accommodate them.

·
Premium Member
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all for the input.

To be more clear on distances...

The rear surround speakers will be within 4" of the rear wall.

The rear surround speakers will be between 12" and 18" from the heads of row 2 listeners. Don't know if this helps one option over the other but thought it was worth adding.

Thanks Brucer for the link. I had read that article some time ago but had forgotten about it. Article leads me to dipoles, but the posts above suggest sticking with the 20s. Since I've re-deployed the 20's to another room, maybe I'll try those in place first...then try dipoles. Either way, I've already got good, sturdy steel stands that will hold either rear speaker choice @ 41".

Additional views welcomed!!

Thanks!

-Paul

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.