AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a good set of speakers for a 7.1 home theatre system? All the group sets I can find consist of 5.1 systems. Are the Klipsch synergy 6 series any good? Looking for under $1000 for a dedicated home theatre room about 16 by 23 feet. Will be getting a 7.1 thx certified receiver at least 100 amps per channel x 7. Suggestions?

·
Registered
60 Posts
For under $1000 you could probably talk to Marc at Audioshop.on.ca about an axiom setup... he may be able to get you in for under $1000 with something nice in the Axiom line (perhaps he will stear you toward Dalquist) but I am not sure.

Another popular option I have seen is to pair an JBL NSP1 with two higher end N series speakers (N26s) as the front mains and adding a Hsu VTF-2 sub. This setup should get you in for ($280+$120+450 = ~$850).

I have yet to hear of a pure 7.1 setup being sold in that price range, but admittedly I don't know everything out there.

Hopefully this gives you some ideas.

Matthew

·
Registered
60 Posts
Quote:
For a pure 7.1 system, what would I be looking at approx.?
I think I mis-spoke. What I meant is I have not seen a packaged 7.1 system in that price range. For that matter I don't recall seeing many packaged 7.1 systems at all.

FWIW, most people I have heard of create their own 7.1 systems by adding on extra (matching) surrounds to a 5.1 or building the entire system themselves. These are just as "pure" of 7.1 systems as a packaged box labeled 7.1.

Basically you will probably have to "build your own" 7.1 system from a base 5.1 system. It shouldn't be too hard. The previous post referenced the JBL setup. Many people have used this setup to create a 7.1 system from the standard 5.1. For Axiom speakers you could add another set of surrounds.

In fact what many people do is wire the room when it is built for a 7.1 system but buy only 5.1 speakers so they can get higher quality for their budget. Later, if they still feel a 7.1 is needed they will add the extra pair of matching surrounds. I think this *may* be a better approach due to the size of your room and the quality of speakers you will probably want to buy to fill the room... but this may not be the case for you.

Personally I would call Marc at audioshop.on.ca and see if there is something he would recommend for your particular room and budget for a 7.1 setup or a 5.1 that would be easy to upgrade. He is very easy to talk to and probably can help you out.

Hope this has been helpful.

Matthew

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.