AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i bought a onkyo 506 receiver which is 7.1 channel but i.m only hooking up a 5.1 system. i was wanting to know if the output of the 2 channels not being used is transferred to the other 5 channels thus resuting in more power to those channels or is it not used at all. i hope i said that right as i'm kinda a noob. anyway thanks for your response.

·
Premium Member
2,136 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsf0656 /forum/post/15455741

i bought a onkyo 506 receiver which is 7.1 channel but i.m only hooking up a 5.1 system. i was wanting to know if the output of the 2 channels not being used is transferred to the other 5 channels thus resuting in more power to those channels or is it not used at all. i hope i said that right as i'm kinda a noob. anyway thanks for your response.

If they're not hooked up, they're not used at all.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Not sure about your model, but you may be able to use those other two channels to drive speakers in another area ... maybe by your pool, workout room or nannie's quarters. ;-)

·
Registered
273 Posts
to answer your question, by not using that last 2 channels, you are making more power available to your other 5 channels, yes.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotVIBE /forum/post/15455912

to answer your question, by not using that last 2 channels, you are making more power available to your other 5 channels, yes.

This is not really correct. If the rear channel amps are not being used, then the power output of those amps is wasted. However, there is a secondary effect where the other 5 channels probably will output a bit more power without the 2 rears being used since the operation of the 7 amps is not completely independent since they share a common power supply.

Ed

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
what about the sub output? if you are using a powered sub would you gain anymore power by not using the receiver to power it?

·
Registered
273 Posts
no, using or not using a sub makes no difference to your receiver's internal amplifier's power distribution.

The sub runs on it's own power, so the receiver is only feeding it a line level signal. This takes next to no power.

·
Registered
273 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekb /forum/post/15456640

This is not really correct. If the rear channel amps are not being used, then the power output of those amps is wasted. However, there is a secondary effect where the other 5 channels probably will output a bit more power without the 2 rears being used since the operation of the 7 amps is not completely independent since they share a common power supply.

Ed

well, that is exactly what I'm talking about.

Most receiver's have a total wattage output, as less or more channels driven, the wattage per channel changes. Because of the common power supply. You are correct that is not a simple (power) / 7 sum. Fact of the matter is, if you leave off the back to channels, the other 5 channels will be better equipped to deal with impedance load peaks from the speakers than they would be if all 7 channels were connected and playing at the same volume.

right?

·
Registered
4,155 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotVIBE /forum/post/15457323

Most receiver's have a total wattage output, as less or more channels driven, the wattage per channel changes.

I don't know exactly what you mean by this, but it sounds as if you are saying that the output per channel is equal to some "total wattage" divided by the number of amplifiers used. That is not the case.

Ed

1 - 10 of 10 Posts