AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this but I'm thinking of going from a 7.1 setup to a 5.1 setup. Has anyone else done this? We are thinking of moving our theater room to a different one but that will only allow us to run a 5.1 setup. Would I be missing much in SQ going this way? My sources are a PS3, HD-A35, and a H/K AVR2600.

·
Registered
4,850 Posts
You will lose no sound quality. The amount of relative immersion, that will be loss, if any. The overall difference depends how optimized your previous, 7.1 set-up was.

Many outstanding surround effects can be resolved with 7.1 systems, however I'm currently completely content with 5.1.

Good luck

·
Registered
27 Posts
I agree with FOH. You might notice little to no difference depending on how good your 7.1 setup was and the source material.

If one speaker will fit, you can always do 6.1. Most rear channel material is mono anyway, so most of the time you can't tell a difference between 6 and 7.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Well, you pretty much gotta do what you gotta do. We have 7.1 in the living room but also a 4.0 setup just for watching TV and casual music listening. Last night we watched Ratatouille on ABC Family-HD and happened to be using using the 7.1 setup. Every time a car drove off or someone knocked at the door, we both turned around to look at our front door, which is behind us. On the other hand, we normally watch TV with just the 4.0 and would not have had that experience. We get similar off-stage door knocks etc in 4.0 but it's not as "surprising" because it's left-to-right or whatever. But if you only have room for five speakers you'll get accustomed to it and probably never wonder what you're missing.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
I went from 7.1 to 5.1 for the same reason (well, 7.1 with front heights.) It does sound different, subtly, but it's not worse (or better, really.)

·
Registered
6,457 Posts
Depends on the room setup/layout. Improperly setup 7.1 will always sound worse than properly setup 5.1. So if you can setup 7.1 give it a try shouldnt cost too much (depending on what surrounds you get) and if you dont like it, return the speakers and your content in the knowledge you tried it and didnt like it.

I tried 7.1 in my old apartment and didnt notice much of a difference between it and 5.1. Adding a dedicated amp to my setup was a much more pronounced difference IMO.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.