AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i understand it's dependent on the source, but is there a typical std. here; do either the surrounds or back surrounds get more work than the other typically? I would think the surrounds would probably get more, especially due to 5.1 being much more prominent at the moment.

Not currently having a 7.1 system, I'm not sure but I'm about to make that move from 5.1

·
Registered
22,521 Posts
The back surrounds do very little, mostly ambient noises and the like. If, like many folks, you use Dolby PLIIx decoder to matrix 5.1 or 2.0 to 7.1, some sounds are taken from the side channels and moved to the back. So in some situations they do about equal duty with the sides, but mostly not. Primarily they provide depth to the sound field.

·
Registered
30,862 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sredish /forum/post/15452291

i understand it's dependent on the source, but is there a typical std. here

No standard that I know of. In my experience, the surround channels contain plenty of mono information (same sound in both channels) as well as lots of stereo information (different sounds in each channel).

With a 7.1 set-up, the more mono the information, the more it will be steered to the speakers behind you; the more stereo the information, the more it will be steered to the speakers at your sides.

I've never seen a consensus that said, one way or the other, whether there was more mono or stereo info in the surround channels. From casual listening, both my side and rear speakers seem to be constantly active.

Sanjay

·
Registered
5,165 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani /forum/post/15454836

No standard that I know of. In my experience, the surround channels contain plenty of mono information (same sound in both channels) as well as lots of stereo information (different sounds in each channel).

With a 7.1 set-up, the more mono the information, the more it will be steered to the speakers behind you; the more stereo the information, the more it will be steered to the speakers at your sides...

I am amazed at how well DVD-As and SACDs sound in 7.1 going through my DenonLink, and then the rears being matrixed out of the side surround information. That "stereo vs mono" observation is interesting because I wondered how using the Denon's matrix function on this material made it seem like there was discrete material coming from my rear speakers.

·
Registered
30,862 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Traveler /forum/post/15486558

I am amazed at how well DVD-As and SACDs sound in 7.1 going through my DenonLink, and then the rears being matrixed out of the side surround information.

Indeed, the first couple of consumer 7-channel pre-pros were based more around music than movies. Even without fancy processing, using 4 surround speakers really helps music sound enveloping.

Sanjay

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
In my experience using DPL IIx, DD EX and DTS Neo6, in general they seem to get equal amounts of activity. If for some reason I absolutely had to favor one over the other, I would give precedence to the SL and SR over the rear surrounds, but only because this seems to make more sense.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Good day to all,

I only have a couple of questions and am pretty sure I have know the answer already but you know how it is any questions is always a good question...

1) can optical(tosslink) carry 7.1 sound sources from a a dvd or such?

2) I have a 7.1 setup without HDMI, my receiver is an older Denon AVR-686 without HDMI, and yes I am missing the goodness of lossless audio. But here is my question, Is there an audio calibration disc to set up 7.1 setups like an AVIA disk or HT Essentials...?

I'll be re-orginizing my HT set up (changing the room around) and I will encounter a foreseeable problem... Speaker placement.... Right now my set up rears are set up nicely both the L & R rears are placed on stands and the surround rears are on a shelf right behind the couch and I will be flipping the room 90 degrees to the left the only problem is that there isnt a wall to place a shelf for the rear surrounds.I was thinking to get 2 more stands or have an over head set up where the rear surrounds are placed on top on the ceiling. Here is where the problem lies. How can I get a good accoustic from the room now since I dont have a 7.1 audio calibrations disc/source. On the new set up I will have a 20 ft. buffer behind me as it's a long room. I know I could reslove this issue by trial and error but I will very much appreciate all the input I can get and have a more informed decision!

Thank you

·
Registered
10,491 Posts
1, No

2,Sound & Vision Home Theater Tune Up disc.

also your receiver should have built in test tones for all channels to do basic calibration.

·
Registered
5,165 Posts
I am listening to Santana's DVD-A Shaman and am amazed at the texture of the Surround Sound and swear that the Backing (and I do mean "backing") Vocals were an independent, rear channel!

·
Registered
207 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehun /forum/post/15501632

1, No

2,Sound & Vision Home Theater Tune Up disc.

also your receiver should have built in test tones for all channels to do basic calibration.

thank you Sir!!!! I'll be looking for this disc right away...

·
Registered
16,944 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Traveler /forum/post/15512906

I am listening to Santana's DVD-A Shaman and am amazed at the texture of the Surround Sound and swear that the Backing (and I do mean "backing") Vocals were an independent, rear channel!

Well it is, isn't it?

·
Registered
16,944 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BertBert /forum/post/15499058

Is there an audio calibration disc to set up 7.1 setups like an AVIA disk or HT Essentials...?

Not via S/PDIF.

·
Registered
16,944 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fkjr2 /forum/post/15517104

if one has an Onkyo 705 and 6.1 setup - do ALL speakers get worked if the disk is a 7.1 HD MSTR ?

Not exactly sure what you are asking. I assume you are decoding at the player and sending it to the ONKYO as multichannel LPCM. I know that some of the ONKYOs cannot apply DPLIIx to 5.1 channel multichannel LPCM. But I would think that if you sent the receiver 7.1 channel multichannel LPCM and the receiver is configured for 6.1 playback, that the 2 surround back channels would get summed to the one rear speaker. Make certain you are sending the receiver the 7.1 HD tracks and not the legacy 5.1 DD/DTS tracks.

·
Registered
198 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadselim /forum/post/15517600

Not exactly sure what you are asking. I assume you are decoding at the player and sending it to the ONKYO as multichannel LPCM. I know that some of the ONKYOs cannot apply DPLIIx to 5.1 channel multichannel LPCM. But I would think that if you sent the receiver 7.1 channel multichannel LPCM and the receiver is configured for 6.1 playback, that the 2 surround back channels would get summed to the one rear speaker. Make certain you are sending the receiver the 7.1 HD tracks and not the legacy 5.1 DD/DTS tracks.

Sorry - what I mean to ask is will the movie play all the 6.1 speakers even though the disc is 7.1 format.

I have the Onkyo handling the decoding to the speakers.

Just didnt want to waste money on the 7.1 discs if all the surrounds I have don't get used.

·
Registered
16,944 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fkjr2 /forum/post/15517674

Sorry - what I mean to ask is will the movie play all the 6.1 speakers even though the disc is 7.1 format.

I have the Onkyo handling the decoding to the speakers.

Just didnt want to waste money on the 7.1 discs if all the surrounds I have don't get used.

The receiver should simply sum the 2 surround rear channels into the single speaker for you. I do not think you have any worries. If you want BR, why should that stop you anyway?

·
Registered
198 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadselim /forum/post/15518290

The receiver should simply sum the 2 surround rear channels into the single speaker for you. I do not think you have any worries. If you want BR, why should that stop you anyway?

It doesnt work - the Rear L does nothing - the AVR says MSTR HD but the rear surround is dead.

Any other special settings?

·
Registered
10,491 Posts
What does the speaker icons show during playback? You might have to engage THX Surround EX to engage the single back speaker.

·
Registered
10,491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BertBert /forum/post/15514098

thank you Sir!!!! I'll be looking for this disc right away...

Keep in mind since SPDIF won't carry 7.1 discrete, the afore mentioned disc will only have DTS ES to send test tones to the rear as a single signal to both if 2 speakers are used.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts