AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. My apologies if this has been beaten to death, but I feel like I have a pretty unique question that is hard to find using just the search function.

I am building a 7.1 system and I am wanting to use an AV Receiver with multi-zone capability.

1. The main speakers (7.1) will all be amplified using the pre-outs of the receiver: FL, C, FR, FHR, FHL, SL, and SR.

2. I want the receiver to only power the Zone 2 speakers via the speaker output terminals, which will utilize the SBR and SBL.

Is this setup even possible? Meaning, if I want to utilize the 7.1 setup while watching a movie, can my Zone 2 speakers still receive their signal simultaneously?

The reason I am asking is I was looking at the Pioneer Elite SC-72, but in the owner's manual it states that in Zone 2 operation using the SB speakers, you can only utilize 5.1. I sent this question to Pioneer tech support, and they said if I setup both front speakers and front height speakers, that the main front speakers would be overridden and only the front heights would be used. They also said that 7.1 is only available by using the SB speakers, which is in direct contradiction to their owner's manual stating that 7.1 could be setup with either Height/Wide or surround back.

Does anyone have any personal experience or even recommend a receiver that is indeed capable of what I want to accomplish? Please keep in mind I would like to keep the receiver budget under $1500 if possible.

Thanks!!

·
Premium Member
90,290 Posts
What the manual is telling you which is also true with Denon and Marantz 7.1 DSX models as well, is that the Surround Back speaker posts can be used for either (1) Surround Back, (2) Front Height, OR (3) Front Wide, so the total channels provided is 7CH. So then to your question, if you have a 7CH AVR and are using all 7CH via pre-outs, then Zone 2 cannot be powered by the AVR. A better option is to power 5CH + Zone 2 with the pre-outs and let the AVR power the remaining 2CH. You could upgrade to a 9CH AVR (eg. Marantz SR7008) which you would then be able to use the 7CH main zone pre-outs and let the AVR power Zone 2.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie  /t/1520347/7-1-with-front-heights-amplified#post_24423418

What the manual is telling you which is also true with Denon and Marantz 7.1 DSX models as well, is that the Surround Back speaker posts can be used for either (1) Surround Back, (2) Front Height, OR (3) Front Wide, so the total channels provided is 7CH. So then to your question, if you have a 7CH AVR and are using all 7CH via pre-outs, then Zone 2 cannot be powered by the AVR. A better option is to power 5CH + Zone 2 with the pre-outs and let the AVR power the remaining 2CH. You could upgrade to a 9CH AVR (eg. Marantz SR7008) which you would then be able to use the 7CH main zone pre-outs and let the AVR power Zone 2.

OK that makes sense. Thanks for the reply and suggestions. I am guessing that if I want to stay with Pioneer, I could go to the SC-75 and be able to do what I want. But I am thinking, would going with a Pre/Pro setup for the main 7.1 setup and the Zone 2 speakers with a completely separate receiver be more beneficial? Sorry if these sound like noob questions, I just haven't done anything like this in many years.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie  /t/1520347/7-1-with-front-heights-amplified#post_24424519

Not necessarily no. There may be no need for the additional amplification at all with the exception of the Zone 2 speakers. Have you tried using just the on board amps for your 7.1 setup?

I haven't made any purchases yet. The house is still being built and I am researching all my options before making this rather large purchase. I am probably going to start off with just using the receivers power and upgrade to amplification a little later.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts