AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am designing my 7.1 setup. I currently have Klipsch 83 fronts and a 64 center. I will have to go with in-ceilings for the rears. I was looking at the Dolby page and looking at the angles recommended for 7.1 speaker placement. It then occurred to me that the dolby design was for speakers that project directly toward the listener, not downward like in-ceilings do. Should the Dolby angles not be modified for in-ceiling use?

Any thoughts?

· Registered
31,860 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by general23cmp /forum/post/15415259

Should the Dolby angles not be modified for in-ceiling use?

No real reason to modify them. Whether the surrounds are floorstanders at ear height or bookshelves high up on the walls or in-ceiling speakers, the Dolby angles work quite well. Having the side speakers at +/- 90 degrees provides stable lateral imaging directly to the sides, where our human hearing is weakest at producing phantom images. The rear speakers at +/- 150 degrees are wide enough apart to hear stereo separation but not so wide that those sounds aren't clearly anchored behind you.

The main suggestion I have for using in-ceiling speakers is to spread them as far out as symmetrically possible. Surround sound is meant to be heard from around you, not so much above. Placing the in-ceilings far away from the listening area will make it sound more like the surrounds are high up on the rear & side walls instead of overhead. Get the kind of speakers that have pointable drivers (at least pointable tweeters), and aim them towards the listening area.

Done properly, you should hear clear left vs right vs rear separation in the surround field, rather than all the sound appearing to come from above you.

Sanjay

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.