AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a high end 5.1 setup currently (around $3,000 for speakers, $2,500 for tv, all 3 game consoles, etc). All this was purchased within the last 3 months and is very new, and basically top of the line right now for my budget. Now I have the option to grab 2 more surround sound speakers that match mine and have 7.1 for $500. I'm currently bi-amping my front speakers, which I'll have to remove if I get 7.1.


Anyone who has 7.1... Is it worth it? Is there a noticable difference over 5.1? It seems 5.1 does a pretty good job, but if 7.1 isn't as noticable as say 3.1 -> 5.1 then I don't think its worth it.


Thoughts?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,779 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrindor /forum/post/14224066


I have a high end 5.1 setup currently (around $3,000 for speakers, $2,500 for tv, all 3 game consoles, etc). All this was purchased within the last 3 months and is very new, and basically top of the line right now for my budget. Now I have the option to grab 2 more surround sound speakers that match mine and have 7.1 for $500. I'm currently bi-amping my front speakers, which I'll have to remove if I get 7.1.


Anyone who has 7.1... Is it worth it? Is there a noticable difference over 5.1? It seems 5.1 does a pretty good job, but if 7.1 isn't as noticable as say 3.1 -> 5.1 then I don't think its worth it.


Thoughts?


Totally dependent on the film itself. However, when done right, it may produce a more convincing rear soundfield if you can manage to get the right configuration in your room. That's the problem with mine. The rears are way too close to the sides because of space limitations, so I'm not a good reference.


For legacy SD DVDs, if you use Dolby PIIx you will still get occasional information from the back channels. Now, whether it is worth it or not.....that's going to have to be a personal decision. Personally, I'd see if I could borrow a pair of speakers temporarily from a friend, set them up, then see if you like the effect.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,533 Posts
depending if you have room to put the surround backs. Your room should be wide enough so that filling in the center makes a difference. Your surround backs should be also far enough away behind (maybe 8ft?) so it's not so noticeable.


I have a dedicated room and I can put surrounds in pretty much ideal positions. I used to run 7.1 with 4 bipolar surrounds. I've sold off one pair maybe 1 year ago and to be honest, i haven't missed it too much. So, like the previous poster said, borrow a pair and try it out for yourself.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29,956 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrindor /forum/post/14224066


Is there a noticable difference over 5.1?

If you can notice the difference between sounds coming from your sides versus sounds coming from behind you, then you'll hear the difference compared to 5.1.


However, as Bing mentioned, the rear speakers need to be at least a few feet behind you in order for a 7.1-speaker set-up to be effective. If your seating is at or near the back wall, stick to a 5.1 layout.


Sanjay
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
686 Posts
I like my 7.1, although my room is far too small for it to be completely effective. When you get an opportunity to try it out, I suggest using WAR on BD, it has the best 7.1 mix available and will best showcase the differences.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
174 Posts
war??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,288 Posts

Quote:
...if 7.1 isn't as noticable as say 3.1 -> 5.1 then I don't think its worth it.

If that's literally your criterium then no, it's not worth it. The jump to rear surrounds, while beneficial if done correctly, is not quite as noticeable as the jump to surround in the first place. Rear surrounds would tend to me more noticeable away from the "sweet spot", where the phantom-imagery that 5.1 relies upon tends to be less effective.

If you don't have room behind the couch, you may find well-done 5.1 superior.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
273 Posts
If you have at least 4 feet behind your seating position, by all means go with the 7.1 speaker arrangement. For 5.1 encoded content, you're not going to notice much improvement. For 7.1 encoded content, there is no substite for a 7.1 implementation. Stuff that is creeping up behind you shouldn't sound like it's "above" you, or "around" you like it would with side surrounds!


95%+ of the content out today is 5.1 -- that being said, it's not a critical issue either way. But, I stand by my recommendation that if you have the distance behind your seating position available, and have a 7.1 receiver, by all means - get the extra 2 speakers.


Greg
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,671 Posts
5.1 = 6 cylinder

7.1 = 8 cylinder
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
606 Posts
After watching 3:10 to Yuma the other night, which has a 7.1 soundtrack, I was blow away by how much better true 7.1 is over something matrixed from 5.1. Definitely worth it if your room can support it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,608 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmarkmyers /forum/post/14230676


After watching 3:10 to Yuma the other night, which has a 7.1 soundtrack, I was blow away by how much better true 7.1 is over something matrixed from 5.1. Definitely worth it if your room can support it.

I agree that on movies that are done in 7.1 sounds somewhat impressive

movies with a 5.1 matrixed to 7.1 not so much. I would have thought by now

seeing that 7.1 has been around for years there would be more content .

I am almost convinced it will go the way of sacd multi ch and dvd-a.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,036 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oztech /forum/post/14230708


I agree that on movies that are done in 7.1 sounds somewhat impressive

movies with a 5.1 matrixed to 7.1 not so much. I would have thought by now

seeing that 7.1 has been around for years there would be more content .

I am almost convinced it will go the way of sacd multi ch and dvd-a.

Since 7.1 is backwards compatible, I don't think this will happen.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,608 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeno /forum/post/14230728


Since 7.1 is backwards compatible, I don't think this will happen.

Kinda what I thought would happen with Quad in the 70's.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
174 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioMike /forum/post/14228849


I like my 7.1, although my room is far too small for it to be completely effective. When you get an opportunity to try it out, I suggest using WAR on BD, it has the best 7.1 mix available and will best showcase the differences.

WAR ON BD???

which movie is that???
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,424 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oztech /forum/post/14230831


Kinda what I thought would happen with Quad in the 70's.

Ah, another ancient guy.
I couldn't believe Quad didn't take off. I still don't know why it didn't. I kind of think the 7.1 surround is lurking, but the big players in the movie game, Paramount, 20th Century, Disney, etc. have to support a push from somewhere. This might be a bad economy for that right now.


OP...if your room is large enough and you have ample distance to the back wall, it may be worth going to 7.1 (although my leanings would take that investment more toward a 5.2 setup!). We have 13 feet behind us and for us the 7 channel surround DPII+ rears add to the embiance of the movie.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,671 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
174 Posts
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Top