AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently setup for 5.2 using a 9-channel receiver that can't do Atmos. what are my options if I chose to go to Atmos but without using additional power?
Does it cause performance issues? Do I need to look for minimum W per channel? Currently I have JBL stage speakers but I'll plan to upgrade them later.
New to advance audio and trying to find the best budget option, if there is one.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Do you mean no additional power taken from the outlet, or that the AVR doesn't provide any more power to the speakers (or something else)?
Unfortunately, 7.2.4 Atmos-capable receivers tend to take you out of the realm of "budget" and a roughly $1K+ entry point, then the price quickly rises.
You may be able to save a bit going with used or refurbished receivers, but demand is currently so high, there aren't a lot of options.

For 5.1.2 Atmos-capable receivers, there are a couple of options in the $400 range.

what are my options if I chose to go to Atmos but without using additional power?

·
Registered
413 Posts
Hi,

7.2.4 will never be less than $1k as mentioned above for the processor alone, and that's literally the entry point to just the processor as a refurb/used unless there's a deep sale on something discontinued. That's an 11 channel processor if you think about it. Won't happen cheaply, yet.

What's your budget?
What do you mean by "power"?

Very best,

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the info. I am wondering if I need an external amp in addition to receiver for better performance or it doesn't really matter?
Looks like there is huge jump in price if I chose to do 7.2.4 vs 5.2.4. I guess I need to be realistic if I don't want to spend more than ~$1200 on receiver. Denon X3700-H is one option I'm looking at it.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Unless your space is really large, and/or you like to listen really loud, you probably don't need an external amp.
In any case you can start without one, and if you really feel the need, you can spend the money on the amp later.

Quickly checking prices (they're higher with less stock available), the big price jump happens when you go from 5.1.2 (7 channel, currently $400-$600) to 5.2.4 (9 channel, currently $1300 and up).
Many of the 9 channel AVRs process 11 channels, and "just" need an external stereo amplifier ($125 or less) to power the extra channels.
Closeout, Open-Box and Refurbished items can bring the price down to that $1K mark but that's very hard to find now.
Refurbished of course offering lower warranty (typically can be supplemented or upgraded).
Used items on ebay are sometimes available with a 3rd party warranty.

If budget is a high concern, you may want to start with a used/2nd-hand 5.1.2 AVR now, then replace it when supply improves later. It may actually cost less in total than buying a full-price AVR now.

Thank you for the info. I am wondering if I need an external amp in addition to receiver for better performance or it doesn't really matter?
Looks like there is huge jump in price if I chose to do 7.2.4 vs 5.2.4. I guess I need to be realistic if I don't want to spend more than ~$1200 on receiver. Denon X3700-H is one option I'm looking at it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts