AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm setting up a room and the plan is to have 6 Atmos ceiling speakers (KEF Ci160QR). My understanding based on this:

https://www.dolby.com/siteassets/about/support/guide/setup-guides/7.1.6-overhead-speaker-placement/sell-sheet-7.1.6-mounted2.pdf

is that you should configure based on the main listening position. Room dimensions are 4.44 metres wide by 5.575 metres long. Ceiling height is 2.7 metres. I expect my head to be 3 metres from the TV in the main listening position. So I guess you should be able to calculate the position of the speakers in the front and in the back when you decide on an angle. I suppose the middle speaker will then be directly overhead. I am planning on 2 rows which then means that people in the back will not get the same experience.

Another question is how far from the side walls the Atmos speakers should be placed?

Sorry for the stupid questions but I find it pretty hard to position these speakers. The rest of my speakers are floor standing so that's much easier because I can just move them around but the ones in the ceiling will be built in so I need to get that right.

/M

·
Registered
28,981 Posts
Another question is how far from the side walls the Atmos speakers should be placed?
Did you look at the diagram at the link you posted? It has the height speakers in line with the front L/R speakers, not any specific distance from the side walls.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Did you look at the diagram at the link you posted? It has the height speakers in line with the front L/R speakers, not any specific distance from the side walls.
Yup, exactly what he said. The only variability in distance to the side walls will be that of the distance between the 2 mains.

·
Premium Member
6,818 Posts
My understanding based on this is that you should configure based on the main listening position. Room dimensions are 4.44 metres wide by 5.575 metres long. Ceiling height is 2.7 metres. I expect my head to be 3 metres from the TV in the main listening position. So I guess you should be able to calculate the position of the speakers in the front and in the back when you decide on an angle. I suppose the middle speaker will then be directly overhead. I am planning on 2 rows which then means that people in the back will not get the same experience.

Sorry for the stupid questions but I find it pretty hard to position these speakers. The rest of my speakers are floor standing so that's much easier because I can just move them around but the ones in the ceiling will be built in so I need to get that right.
Yeah, a very good question, and I'm curious to see answers about this for self-education. You're right, Dolby says to focus on the central listening position, and that will not deliver the same experience to a 2nd row, I'm guessing a rather inaccurate experience. It seems to me that it would need to be some sort of compromise for a "middle" experience for both rows.

Please do let somebody with actual experience with 2-row, 7.1.6 guide you, but here's one scenario that I personally would entertain. For the fronts and rears, I'd probably do a fixed angle speaker if you go in-ceiling, 45 degrees. Place them where Dolby recommends, the fronts based on the front row, the rears based on the back row. I don't think the dispersion characteristics of down firing in-ceilings, or even ones with just aimable tweeters would deliver as well across the two rows, but the aimed ones - everyone should get something to a reasonable degree. (Just a single row, maybe a different story, depending on the speaker's design). The middle pair, down firing, placed half way between the fronts and rears, which should be right between the two rows. On-ceilings are an option too for aimability, but with low ceiling's you'd have to accept the appearance and that they are a bit closer (I don't care for the look of boxes hanging from the ceiling, nor the encroachment - but from a performance perspective, might offer some advantages). I really don't know how much of a compromise this would be, and it might be the wrong approach, just an idea from a guy that has a 7.2.4, single row. :eek:

Reactions: depechefan
1 - 4 of 4 Posts