AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a 7.2 speaker/amp setup and need recommendations on placement of side surround speakers. i have looked at recommendations (degrees) from manufacturer as well as the dolby 7.1 setup. Issue: all diagrams use 1 row of seating for center of listening area. If i use front row as point of reference, back row recommended degrees are way off; likewise if i use back row for point of reference.

Question: should I use 1/2 the distance between both rows of seating as a center point for listening area? Main concern is that listener in back row of seating might perceive/blend the side speakers with front and front row might perceive/blend side with back.

My other thought was to have a set of side speakers for each row however my receiver does not have the outputs for such and i am not sure if i could split signal between 2 sets of speakers (power/signal).

Room details below
  • Room is 15x18; 8ft ceilings
  • Last row of seating is 8-12 inches away from rear wall; seating is raised 8 inches (approx/avg listening height 48 inches)
  • First row of seating is 7ft away from rear wall (approx/avg listening height 40 inches)
  • Currently the rear surround speakers are mounted at a height of 5ft angled down (about 1-2 ft above listening area); and 3 ft away from each side wall (Didn't have much of a choice on placement because of centered window)

Thanks

·
Registered
30,151 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by acutshall  /t/1524810/7-2-side-speaker-placement#post_24543788

Question: should I use 1/2 the distance between both rows of seating as a center point for listening area? Main concern is that listener in back row of seating might perceive/blend the side speakers with front and front row might perceive/blend side with back.
You have to choose whether you want one row optimized and one row compromised OR both rows compromised. If you put the side speakers 1/2 the distance between both rows, they'll be forward of the back row. If they're going to be forward of the back row anyway, might as well place them in-line with the front row, so at least you have one row optimized.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Would having dipole speakers in between the two rows help resolve the issue? I'm in a similar situation and am considering dipoles so even though the location isn't optimal, you can't directly hear the speaker location...

·
Registered
30,151 Posts
I wouldn't use dipole surrounds, unless the room was very narrow and nearby listeners needed to be in the speakers' nulls. Placing them in between rows would be pointless, since neither row would be sitting in the null. If no one is in the null, then why use dipoles to begin with (use bipoles or wide-dispersion monopoles instead).

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Throw them in the corners, like IMAX.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani  /t/1524810/7-2-side-speaker-placement#post_24544286

You have to choose whether you want one row optimized and one row compromised OR both rows compromised. If you put the side speakers 1/2 the distance between both rows, they'll be forward of the back row. If they're going to be forward of the back row anyway, might as well place them in-line with the front row, so at least you have one row optimized.

Thanks.

Is there a way to add another set of side speakers (split the signal and power) or would the receiver not be able to handle? And would this just confuse the both rows of listeners? Also if i were to center the listening area and run the receivers Multi channel acoustic calibration, would this help

·
Registered
30,151 Posts
You could start a thread asking how to connect two speakers to each surround output (without stressing out the amplifiers) and hopefully someone that has experience with your receiver will be able answer. I think it will muddy the side wall imaging, but that might not be a concern for you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts