AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a total n00b at the whole audio thing.

I am about to put some in-wall speaker wires into the house before they put up dry wall. I want to put a 7.2 system in my great room (picture attached) and I was wondering how I should conduct speaker placement. I expect the entertainment center and couches to be where they are displayed in the picture.

I have designated my speaker placement with red dots in the attached picture (do i need 2 subs). I was thinking about putting the two fronts and the sub at the entertainment center (should i do floor standing speakers or in wall ones?). The 2 surrounds were going to go on each side above the couch spread out as far to the sides as possible. And I was going to put the two rears in the back wall (should i bring them up closer?)

Please advise on speaker placement (vertically and horizontally), what kind of speakers would be recommended, receiver type, do i even need 7.2?, etc. I am not made of money but I am willing to spend a decent amount of money. I am hoping the budget will be under 2.5k.

THANKS!!!

·
Registered
203 Posts
the side surrounds should be slightly ahead of ur ears but is see you have different seating so your layout will work fine.

I love 2 subs much better than one....

·
Registered
5,253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dafooliodc /forum/post/18305834

I am a total n00b at the whole audio thing.

I am about to put some in-wall speaker wires into the house before they put up dry wall. I want to put a 7.2 system in my great room (picture attached) and I was wondering how I should conduct speaker placement. I expect the entertainment center and couches to be where they are displayed in the picture.

I have designated my speaker placement with red dots in the attached picture (do i need 2 subs). I was thinking about putting the two fronts and the sub at the entertainment center (should i do floor standing speakers or in wall ones?). The 2 surrounds were going to go on each side above the couch spread out as far to the sides as possible. And I was going to put the two rears in the back wall (should i bring them up closer?)

Please advise on speaker placement (vertically and horizontally), what kind of speakers would be recommended, receiver type, do i even need 7.2?, etc. I am not made of money but I am willing to spend a decent amount of money. I am hoping the budget will be under 2.5k.

THANKS!!!

Select 7.1 and read:

http://www.dolby.com/consumer/setup/...ide/index.html

Side surrounds do not go in front of your ears.

If you are new and do not understand why two subs might be useful, just use one. I doubt you will notice the difference.

·
Registered
12,418 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dafooliodc /forum/post/18330716

Thanks for the advice guys... so i should probably have the rear speakers right behind the sofa then huh...

The rears can stay on the back wall. And if the door in the upper left remains closed while listening, then I'd suggest spacing them as far apart as possible. Lb nearer the corner, and Rb closer to the counter near the range. This has the added advantage of not blasting sound directly into whomever is sitting in those chairs.

·
The Village Idiot
9,738 Posts
Take another look at the Dolby speaker placement recommendations. I'd think seriously about just a 5.1 setup - two subs unless you get one large one. Spend the money you save by not buying rear surrounds on more sub or front three speakers.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Good advise! Good subs can be expensive, so once you have one you may not want to upgrade. But a good sub will make a huge difference. If you are limited in space, check out SVS. They make cylinder subs that have a small footprint.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts