AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The room is 44' long but as you can see only half will be used for the theater. I have yet to buy the components so I am currently debating if 9.2 would work better for this room or is it overkill? I welcome all input...

Because of the setup, the speakers will be in the ceiling.... The "square" around the seating are soffits.

·
Registered
595 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyZipperbaum /forum/post/18298168

The room is 44' long but as you can see only half will be used for the theater. I have yet to buy the components so I am currently debating if 9.2 would work better for this room or is it overkill? I welcome all input...

Because of the setup, the speakers will be in the ceiling.... The "square" around the seating are soffits.

Diminishing returns. Not sure it would provide an improvement that was noticeable let alone worth the additional cost and trouble. The listening area isn't all that big.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mag...

Where would you locate the sides in a 7.2 setup like mine...AND does your view change if I tell you that the small square next to the 3 seats is a 12x12 concrete pole that will be in the way, as an example in the 7.2 the 2nd row would be partially blocked....

thanks.

·
Registered
595 Posts
I would start by trying them where you show the second set of side surrounds in your 9.2 setup and experiment between that starting point and inching them forward until they are parallel with the back of the second row seats....if it weren't for that pole! Sheesh, 12 X 12, that's a pretty big hole in the sound field that close to the seating.

Given the pole, I think I'd start experimenting at the front edge of the front seats and moving them as far rearward as the front seat backs. That way, at least the front row gets an optimized sound field. I assume the front row will be the first ones occupied if you don't have a big crowd watching. Only experimentation will tell you the optimum position.

How high is the ceiling under the soffit?

·
Registered
3,768 Posts
Pardon my ignorant interruption, but isn't your 9.2 setup really 7.1 with extra surround speakers and sub? What I mean is, do you have the extra horsepower and management needed to balance all that? (not that you don't; obviously, I don't know.)

That is to say, for this to work right, you aren't planning on just splitting your surround wires to power two speakers are you? (or wire them in series, for that matter.)

Or maybe I don't have any idea what I'm talking about...

I guess what sparks the comment is that the only 9.x playback system I'm familiar with is PLIIz, and your pictures don't show that, so I assume this is totally custom, yes?

·
Registered
417 Posts
I currently use three speakers per surround channel plus one per back surround (total 8 surround speakers) but these speakers are designed to be used in multiples (at least three per side according to the designer). They're placed at specific angles around the listening position and at different heights. The result is very convincing, but then again, they're designed for it.

H

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Do you guys think the OP would be better off having one pair bi/diole speakers for his side surrounds as opposed to 1 or 2 pairs of monopole speakers. Just thought this might give a more enveloping experience for him especially if he placed the null where the 12X12 pole is located and then the other speaker directly across from that one.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Flick I have now started looking into that option....anyone have experience in something similar to my set up?

Hevi...who makes the speakers

Fred...Yeah you are correct, it is not true 9.2...really 7.2 with 2 additional speakers....

I haven't purchased the Receiver or the amps yet because I want to get this part down first...

·
Registered
417 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyZipperbaum /forum/post/18325244

They are called "Ino Audio A2" and are designed by Ingvar Öhman, lead RnD at Guru Pro Audio. "Ino Audio" is his own brand that sell his exceptionaly elaborate designs as "kit-speakers" for "self-cost" to true hifi enthusiasts. By invitation only... With "elaborate" I mean he design *everything* including developing his own drivers and the measured performance of them are simply world class.

GURU is the commercialized versions of his speakers (but the A2 is not part of that line yet).

Anyway, here's a picture of these peculiar looking surrounds:

H

·
Registered
244 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyZipperbaum /forum/post/18325244

Flick I have now started looking into that option....anyone have experience in something similar to my set up?

Fred...Yeah you are correct, it is not true 9.2...really 7.2 with 2 additional speakers....

I haven't purchased the Receiver or the amps yet because I want to get this part down first...

I have something like that, but my pool table is to the right where your bathroom is, in a space 14ft wide, 21ft long open to the seating area. (the whole right side of my seating area) And I have a bar area where your pool table is. The seating and bar area is 45ft long and 19ft wide. I tried the 7.2 with Paradigm adp's bi/diole in the middle of my seating area hanging from the ceiling, never really got the that enveloping sound. (too far from the front and back walls for the sound to reflect) I've now moved to 2 sets of monopole side speakers hook up to a Adcom speaker slector for the protection circuit. The sound is much better, but still not like in a smaller room.

IMHO nothing could be "overkill" in a room that size.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ody, if you have any pics or any additional info on the set up I would love to see them.....What is the rest of your equipment...

Did you have to go with ceiling surrounds which of course I will have to without the wall on the right...

·
Registered
244 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyZipperbaum /forum/post/18329256

Ody, if you have any pics or any additional info on the set up I would love to see them.....What is the rest of your equipment...

Did you have to go with ceiling surrounds which of course I will have to without the wall on the right...

I didn't go with ceiling surrounds because I didn't feel there were any that would play loud enough for my room size. I went with Paradigm Onwall monitor 5's The 2 in the front sides are mounted at the ceiling on an angel aimed to the middle of the room sideways, because of the open area. The back 2 sides are on the wall up and down right where the back side wall starts. The rears are hanging from the ceiling aimed to the middle as well.

I don't have any pics of the current set up on this computer. I'll check my other one, but I'm not sure I have any of the current set up.

·
Registered
142 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyZipperbaum /forum/post/18305291

Mag...

Where would you locate the sides in a 7.2 setup like mine...AND does your view change if I tell you that the small square next to the 3 seats is a 12x12 concrete pole that will be in the way, as an example in the 7.2 the 2nd row would be partially blocked....

thanks.

Personally I would get rid of the pole and use microlam beams. But mostly beacuse I do not like support beams in my house.

I did use steel in one of my bigger rooms but microlam would have been just as good.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts