AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm on outlaws waiting list but am having serious doubts about the quality of the unit. Right now I'm using a fully loaded DC-1. I think its outdated a bit so I'm looking to upgrade. I also am looking at the Rotel 1066, but have no clue where to get one below retail if thats the way I go.

I can get a Bryston for around 3Gs, but thats getting high. My price range is up to $3G, but prefere to stay under. Anyone have any suggestions or know where is a good place to get the rotel.

Also I want something that does true 7.1 meaning can extract to rear surrounds. I love logic 7, but the DC-1 doesn't seem to accomodate the newer formats and 96/24 which I think DVHS will use and I want something that does 96/24.

Any suggestions, help?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Some idea's :

- Integra RDC7

- Rotel RSP-1066

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
Hank,

how about the MC-1....

you know what L7 can do.....

ts

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeh I know but I passed on an MC-1 for 2G. I also want somehting that can handle dts 96/24?

The Bryson SP-7 looks good, but really doesn't do me any justice as far as my rear speakers go with extracting 2 seperate channels. I really dig that with Logic 7.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Hank527,

Are you the original owner of the DC-1? I might be interested in it...how much are you willing to sell it for?

Thanks,

Brad

·
Registered
183 Posts
the denon 5803 integrated box (~2999, surely 2500 by end of summer) can do all you want including 96/24!

just use it as a pre-pro only! :)

Harlan

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm really leaning towards Rotel. I can get a BK ref 30 or an Anthem AVM 20, but the Rotel has everything but 192 DACS

·
Registered
5,549 Posts
"but the Rotel has everything but 192 DACS"

What does it have for 7 channel surround?

Think strongly about why you want to change things. How much DTS 96/24 material is out there?

Is it worth loosing Logic 7 (which works on almost everything) for a couple of titles that you could listen to already on the DC-1 in regular DTS decoding?

If you really like Logic 7 you might want to wait for the baby MC-12.

Shawn

·
Registered
448 Posts
I would not loose my Logic 7 if you paid me. It is the best in my opinion.

_____

As to this baby MC-12 , Exactly what is this? Rumors?

·
Registered
5,549 Posts
"As to this baby MC-12 , Exactly what is this? Rumors?"

Not rumors but very little is known about it. Lexicon has posted on SMR that they are working on a lower priced processor based on the MC-12 architecture. It is still a ways off though.

Shawn

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
How much DTS 96/24 material is out there?

But alot more is coming especially on DVHS

I don't think the DC-1 has the guts to handle more. Rotel has XL or something that extracts 2 rear stereo channels. Also has other features the DC-1 does not Analog bypass. 2 Channel bypass. Etc.., Pro Logic 2.

Its also has rs232 for updates and I want something that can handle 96/24 thats why I'm selling the DC-1.

Hindsight I should have bought an MC-1 for 2000 when Alan was running a used special

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
Hank,

MC-1`S are found just about everywhere for 2100-2300,if your lucky 2,000..

good luck-

tommy

·
Registered
5,549 Posts
"But alot more is coming especially on DVHS "

I will believe it when I see it. DTS doesn't get very far with their formats.. witness DTS ES Discrete. That was their last format that lots of people spent big money to get the ability to decode. And in the end there are a handful of titles available.

Besides you can still listen to DTS 96/24 on your DC-1.

"I don't think the DC-1 has the guts to handle more. "

Lexicon has stopped development on that platform. That is why there is the baby MC-12 coming which will share software with the MC-12.

"Rotel has XL or something that extracts 2 rear stereo channels."

Most of those modes are mono rears. Be sure to compare them to Logic 7 before you assume they are as good.

"Also has other features the DC-1 does not Analog bypass. 2 Channel bypass. Etc.., Pro Logic 2. "

You can add a 2 channel bypass to the DC-1 but it takes a trip to R/S. DPL2 isn't much of an issue IMO since you have L7 but some might disagree. RS-232 upgrades are nice but be sure the company actually uses it. Having the ability and actually putting out meaningful upgrades aren't the same thing.

"Hindsight I should have bought an MC-1 for 2000 when Alan was running a used special"

Nahh, it doesn't do any of the things you are leaving the DC-1 for either.

Anyhow it sounds like you made up your mind with the Rotel. Good luck with it.

Shawn

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks shawn, no I'm leaning towards rotel. I think I just want something newer. I'm happy with the DC-1 but want more. MC-1 would be the best step I think. I want more power. I have the amps and speakers. The Preamp is holding me back a little right now. The DC-1 and its abality to handle DTS is where I'm having flaws.

·
Registered
164 Posts
farscape66: agreed, once you go Logic 7, it's hard to enjoy surround material without it!

If you go with a newer processor, the Rotel, then you are giving up Logic 7 for what? Ask yourself what you use your processor mostly for.

As for DC-1/MC-1 differences, there are not many. DC-1 has 20-bit A/Ds, where the MC-1 has 24-bit. Both have 24-bit D/As. Probably some other small things, but I don't know since I've never really looked at a DC-1.

My MC-1 will be with me for quite some time to come.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Merc,

You've had the outlaw and compared it to others. How would you rank it?

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Hank527
Merc,

You've had the outlaw and compared it to others. How would you rank it?
Hi,

if your talking to me:)wrong Merc,

iv read the comparisons(not necessarily Merc`s)and i must say-most seem to be done ether not at the same time or not blind....there are plenty of reviews of the Outlaw out there(not the beta testers)that you should read.

the outlaw i`m sure is a fine product....

for me,my room is set-up for L7,i wont have it any other way.

tommy

·
Registered
30,180 Posts
Quote:
Rotel has XL or something that extracts 2 rear stereo channels.
Hi Hank,

Just a quick correction. Rotel's XS (eXtended Surround) processing takes any common (mono) information found in the stereo surrounds and sends them to the 2 rear speakers. However, unlike EX/ES, this mono signal is not removed from the L&R surrounds. This prevents the 'collapsing to the rear' that can sometimes happen with EX/ES, but sacrifices directional placement; e.g., a sound that is mixed to image specifically behind you will instead come from behind you AND both sides. Of course you can always switch back to EX/ES processing to avoid that.

Not trying to talk you out of the Rotel, which is a very nice unit - especially for the price, but just wanted to make sure you are clear on what kind of surround processing you are getting; especially in regards to stereo rears. BTW, if you do get the Rotel, that silver & black version looks absolutely bitchin'! Good luck either way.

Best,

Sanjay

·
Registered
552 Posts
Psst, brand new EAD Ovation 8, check here at av science.....

·
Registered
75 Posts
If we are all listing our favorites: Theta Digital. Real upgradability and top notch build quality. The sound is great and there are plenty of options to keep any hobbyist happy for years. I like the Casablanca but the CasaNova has gotten good reviews as wll (not quite as customizable).

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.