AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I just picked up a B&K 200.7 amplifier to run with a yamaha 2400 receiver. I currently only have a 5.1 setup but got the 7 channel amp instead of a 5 channel amp for when i upgrade in the future so i'll have the extra channels of power.

My question is: Did i basically waste an extra $400 on the extra 2 channels because i could have used my yamaha's amp to run the 2 rear channels? Or would this have comprimised the power to the other 5 channels running off my B&K? Please help a noob justify his purchase.. :D

·
Registered
178 Posts
Mr. Yamaha.....

I don't think you "wasted" anything by going with 7 channels now. It's called future proofing and when you do get your rear surround speakers you will be ready to go with 7 channels of equal amplification. The power supply in your 2400 will have nothing else to do but keep the pre/pro section stable which can only be a good thing. It all depends on YOUR priorities and how much more it would have cost to add 2 more amp channels later on if you decided you needed them.

I do have a question for you though.

Did you notice any low level "popping" when changing inputs or DSP modes when you connected your amp?

I recently added a Bryston 9B-ST ( 5 x 120 w/ch) to my Yamaha 1400

and have this anomaly. I'm using the 1400 to drive the rear surrounds (7.1) and the low pop only comes from the speakers connected to the Bryston and does not change in amplitude no matter where the volume is set. I'm assuming that there must be some sort of filtering after the pre-outs in the Yamaha's amp section that have been defeated by connecting to an outboard amp. But you know what they say about assuming anything.

Anybody else have any thoughts on this as well as Mr. Yamaha's situation?

Take Care

·
Registered
339 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by 4WR
Mr. Yamaha.....

I don't think you "wasted" anything by going with 7 channels now. It's called future proofing and when you do get your rear surround speakers you will be ready to go with 7 channels of equal amplification. The power supply in your 2400 will have nothing else to do but keep the pre/pro section stable which can only be a good thing. It all depends on YOUR priorities and how much more it would have cost to add 2 more amp channels later on if you decided you needed them.

I do have a question for you though.

Did you notice any low level "popping" when changing inputs or DSP modes when you connected your amp?

I recently added a Bryston 9B-ST ( 5 x 120 w/ch) to my Yamaha 1400

and have this anomaly. I'm using the 1400 to drive the rear surrounds (7.1) and the low pop only comes from the speakers connected to the Bryston and does not change in amplitude no matter where the volume is set. I'm assuming that there must be some sort of filtering after the pre-outs in the Yamaha's amp section that have been defeated by connecting to an outboard amp. But you know what they say about assuming anything.

Anybody else have any thoughts on this as well as Mr. Yamaha's situation?

Take Care
I have a 1400, and have a separate amp driving the rear/side 4 channels and I do not hear any "popping". FYI...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hello,

no i dont get popping when changing modes, but i DO get popping when I power off my amplifier. The tweeters pop and it makes me nervous i'm doing damage to them. Its strange because they pop even though my reciever is turned off. Does anyone else get this?

·
Registered
178 Posts
marius... thanks for the info

Mr. Yamaha; that pop that you hear when powering off is what I'm hearing when ever I change inputs or channels on my STB or even working in the OSD of the Yamaha.

What I normally do is power up the amp AFTER everthing else and turn it OFF first. I don't think what you are hearing is doing any damage I just find it annoying.

Take Care

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Mr Yamaha, what speakers are you using and can you bi-amp them? If you can use 6 or the 7 channels to bi-amp the L/R/C and use the receiver to power the rears.

Kevin

·
Registered
369 Posts
I have a Yamaha 1400 and a B&K 200.7 and hear no popping. I use the trigger on the 1400 to turn the B&K on and off using a HTM MX-700 to access the trigger discretes in a macro. On the 2400 remote, you can get at the trigger discretes directly. But even without the trigger I do not think I ever heard popping.

The B&K is a great addition to the 2400 and you certainly did not waste your money on the two additional channels. Once Dolby Digital Plus (I think that is what the true 7 channel format is called) comes out, the back surrounds will get even better and your 7 channel will handle that nicely. Great move on your part. Enjoy.

·
Registered
174 Posts
how are the 2400/amp combos working for you guys? is the sound better?

I'm looking to upgrade from using my 2400's amp to a external amp. Is the Yamaha good as a Pre-amp?

Also whats a cheap 7.1 amp i could pair it with? I'd like to spend as much or less than what I paid for the reciever.

·
Registered
11,586 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by arya202
Also whats a cheap 7.1 amp i could pair it with? I'd like to spend as much or less than what I paid for the receiver.
You won't find a 7 channel power amp that cheap unless you buy a used one. And even then, it probably would not be one that has a great power advantage over the 2400's own built in amps. If your budget is low, then only look for a 3 channel or 5 channel amps and not a 7 channel. And that will reduce the load on the built in amps, and give them a bit more breathing room for the surrounds, while the 3 or 5 channel amp power your fronts and center, and one pair of surrounds if you get a 5 channel. Or you could also go with something like 1 or 2 of the Crown XLS-402 2 channel pro amps to start out with, at just around $300 each. And then buy more of them as more money becomes available.

There is a BIG thread on using the Crown amps.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...light=pro+amps

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.