Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm new to all this great HT stuff. I have a finished basement that I plan on devoting to a HT. Unfortunately the ceiling is only 7' high, and I was planning on buying the Panny L300U and mounting it to the ceiling. Also, I had planned on having a 16:9 110" permanent screen.

Does the low ceiling mess all of this up?

Please share your views.

Thanks.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Actually, the L300u should work in this situation. You will want your screen close to the ceiling, which means you may have to create a custom mount. My L300u sits a little low and I have it angled up a bit to reach the top pf my screen.

How did you come up with the screen size? Your closest seating position should be at least 1.5 times the screen width. That would be approx. 14 feet from the screen. You really don't want to sit any closer with the L300u. I think 1.75 times the screen width is even better for the L300u so that it minimizes the visible pixel structure.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your help. I just kind of made that number up, as I want the screen to be big. What do you think would be a more realistic number?

·
Registered
354 Posts
What I did was buy the L300u first and used it on the plain wall for several weeks until I was comfortable with the size.

It really depends on how far away you are planning to sit from the wall. Have you measured this yet?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by SayersWeb
How did you come up with the screen size? Your closest seating position should be at least 1.5 times the screen width. That would be approx. 14 feet from the screen. You really don't want to sit any closer with the L300u. I think 1.75 times the screen width is even better for the L300u so that it minimizes the visible pixel structure.
I agree with the 1.75 number, both for best picture and a comfortable viewing angle. My picture is 110" diag, which is 8' wide, and I sit 14' back. The picture looks fine even at 10', but I'd get dizzy watching from that close all the time. My 6 year old loves it though :). At 1.75 screen widths back, you're at the THX specification for theater viewing angle.

Richard

·
Registered
176 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Markito
Hi,

Unfortunately the ceiling is only 7' high, and I was planning on buying the Panny L300U and mounting it to the ceiling. Also, I had planned on having a 16:9 110" permanent screen.

Does the low ceiling mess all of this up?

Please share your views.

Thanks.
Have no fear. I am in the exact situation. My room is 7ft high. I mounted my 300U with the lens center about 4 inches off the ceiling (custome-made mount), about 14ft from a 119in screen. I tilt the projector downward a little. The screen is about 8 in from the ceiling and there is plenty of space left at the bottom for the center speaker underneath the screen.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
River,

I'd love to hear more about your setup. It sounds like just what I will do. I think I will PM you soon if you don't mind.

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here is a pic of the basement wall which will become my HT room. Note the unusual barrel shaped ceiling (max. 7' in center, 6' on the lower sides).

Also, do you guys think I could have an electrician remove one of the ceiling lights and put an electrical outlet there for the ceiling mount?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Nice room. This is going to be a very cozy media room.

You definitely need a power outlet on the ceiling. It is a simple matter to remove the ceiling light fixture to put in an outlet. If you are not sure of doing it yourself, I am sure any competent electrician could do it for you. I would pay less than $100.00 for that.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Cool room! Headroom will be the only limiting factor in your situation. Based on the screen size you mentioned, the center of the lens will have to be 3" below the top of the viewing surface (that is, if you meant 110" diagonal).

Just mount that screen as high as you can!

P.S. I have a 'wind trainer' just like yours. I don't know another soul who owns one.

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
I have a similar situation, 7' ceiling, but it's a suspended ceiling so I do have some flexibility on mounting the PJ. My problem is I'd like to reuse my Linn speakers, and with their stands they are 35" high, so that means to get a 80" wide screen, I'll only have a couple inches to spare at the top! I am just starting to evaluate projectors, are there any that would be better suited for me? The room is 9'x17', but I can mount the PJ just about anywhere. I was leaning towards the HS10 because of it's good 16x9 resolution and DVI/HDCP support...but I've only seen a couple PJs in person, so my mind is far from made up.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
JDLIVE, with virtually any 16:9 pj, you will be in the same boat as far as ceiling mounting, give or take a centimeter or two. You couldn't even consider a 4:3 pj, due to the significant offset required for 16:9 viewing. According to many, the L300U is the equal to the Sony in perceived resolution, due to SmoothScreen, and according to virtually all, it is superior in contrast and black-level. However, if HDCP compliance is critical to you, you must go with the Sony.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Incidentally, the basement rec room that the attached photo above is from is 14 feet wide and 26 feet long.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
SayersWeb,

I like the raceway channels you installed for your cords, and I was planning on doing the same, but I just had a bad thought...

Will my unique curved ceiling (see attached Rec Room jpg above) make it impossible to use channels for the cords to go up the right-hand side wall and then across the curved ceiling to the center? Or are most channels bendable so that I could give them a curve shape before attaching. I'm already afraid you guys are gonna say that channels are not possible for me.:(

·
Registered
499 Posts
I got some circular ones that are pretty flexible from Lowes, they should bend, but I don't know if the adhesive would be strong enough to hold them in that position for long, you could always find some that are flexible and use something strong.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by KingofOld
I got some circular ones that are pretty flexible from Lowes, they should bend, but I don't know if the adhesive would be strong enough to hold them in that position for long, you could always find some that are flexible and use something strong.
Yes, I think they will bend also. I found the adhesive tape to be quite strong. I think it will work fine.

·
Registered
4,608 Posts
As far as viewing distance goes, I sit about 12-13 feet back from a 106" screen, that's a little over 1.5 screen widths. I think it's fine, and in fact when we have folks over I'll frequently lie in the floor about halfway between (yep, about 6-7 feet from the screen, less than one screen widith) and it's still a great picture. I think the standard screen sizes for 16x9 are like 92" - 106" - 119". I think you'd be fine with 106" like mine. 119 would be pushing it to the max.

With my setup, screen flush to the ceiling (8 foot ceiling), and minimal drop on the screen cloth (top of viewable area is about 8 inches from ceiling)--I only have 32 inches below the screen bottom to the floor. I have Salamander cabinets that stand 31 inches tall directly under it housing the components and speakers.

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bubbawilly
However, if HDCP compliance is critical to you, you must go with the Sony.
Yeah, that's something I'm not convinced I need to worry about. I'm leaning towards a minimal investment with the thinking I'd upgrade later, so maybe HDCP isn't worth the worry at this point. And both do DVI, so my HTPC plan would still work. Thanks for the response.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by bubbawilly
P.S. I have a 'wind trainer' just like yours. I don't know another soul who owns one.
Trainers are great during cold winter months.

I can't wait to plop my trainer infront of the large projector screen and ride while a "Tour De France" footage DVD is playing. Now that would be cool!:)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.