Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hola.

I have a AmmPro 2000G CRT projector with 7" lenses. I have an HTPC and PowerStrip, so I can do any resolution or refresh rate on earth. I was searching for the "sweet spot" and was just seeing if any one had some advise. I've heard 71.928Hz is the best refresh rate (agreed???). Resolution suggestions?

AmPro 2000 G specs

Horizontal Scan Rate (KHz) 15-80

Vertical Scan Rate (KHz) 40-150

Max resolution 1280X1024

Input I'm using RGBHV

7 inch CRT's

84 inch wide screen, running 16:9 ratio, and only interested in 16:9 ratios. Used strictly for DVD playback.

Did some searches on the forum with no luck, so if I missed something and this is already listed please just tell me the title of the thread or give me some key words I should focus on.

Thanks,

DAN

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
At least redirect me, don't just leave me hanging! Movie night is coming up you guys know what that is like.

I want the picture to be 5 star :) :) :) :) :) before I reveal it to all my friends.

DAN

·
Registered
9,679 Posts
Hey,

I think the answer you seek will depend directly on the tuning of the tubes in your machine. Most people either don't want any scaling done or want to scale to the resolution that causes the scan lines to just overlap.

There is a program called Nokia monitor test that allows you to test resolution vertically and horizontally. Using this program and powerstrip you should be able to find the vertical and horizontal resolution that makes the best picture for you.

It's somewhat tedious to do though. Each new resolution has to be added to powerstrip and then Nokia Monitor test can be run to test that particular resolution. I tried to do this Saturday on my setup but it was taking way to long.

Good Luck,

Brian

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Dan, I can't speak for the Ampro, but I have the same pj as Cary above...I run at 1280x720 @ 72Hz. I want to go to 1440x960, which is theoretically beyond the capabilities of the pj...BUT, I have performed many modifications to the unit to improve the quality of the picture.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'm running my NEC 6PG (that I bought from Curt two weeks ago) at 1024x768 at 70Hz, and it looks pretty good. No flicker at all, so its not worth increasing the refresh above that. I might try 1152 x 864 again now that I have the focus good, but I might wait until Curt sends me the Astig adjustment instructions before going that high. I've never seen any scaling artifacts at all with Power DVD at any resolutions, so I would just keep increasing the resolution until it starts to get worse (due to the pj's video bandwidth) then back it off to the previous resolution. I don't believe that displaying more lines than the vertical resolution of the image is bad. Its the video bandwidth thats the limiting factor IMHO.

Keith

·
Registered
345 Posts
Dan,

I would be interested to know what you find the sweet spot for your 2000G to be as I have a 2000D.

So far I'm just feeding it S-video until I get the HTPC, but I plan to get one and would also like to know what resolution and refresh rate would be best.

You might want to read around about what some people have been saying about using a 48Hz refresh rate rather than 72Hz. Some people report better picture quality, but other's are bothered by increased flicker.

I'd like to try the 48Hz when I get the HTPC.

Matt

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.