AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried to search for this topic, but "7" isn't allowed as a search term. Philips has rear projection, 55" "digital ready" TV that will supposedly support 1080i. When I was getting Home Theater mag, they said that 7" CRTs could not project 1080i. Has this changed? In other words, can 7-inch CRTs project 1080i?

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
You refered to a CRT RPTV in your post. NO RPTV, even those using 9" CRTs, can fully resolve 1080i. The screen size, and especially the fresnel projection screen make it impossible. The only projs capable of fully resolving 1080i are 9" CRT FPTVs.

However, you do not need to resolve 1080i to view a stunning HDTV picture on HDTV ready RPTVs, or 7" or 8" CRT FPTVs. These sets may not resolve ALL the lines of 1080i, or ever 720p, but you will still get images far better than analog TV or DVDs.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Quote:
My 7" Sony 1270 can resolve 1080i (540P) easily, well, not easily but properly setup it sure can. Of course this is FP....
A 7" CRT front projector (data or graphics grade) can display 1080i with no problem. However it cannot resolve the entire resolution of 1920x1080i. There is a major difference between being able to display an image and fully resolving an image.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bryan_chow
You guys are forgetting that no CRT can resolve 1920 pixels horizontally.
Not true. A high-end 9" CRT like the Sony G90 or Marquee 9500 can do it.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Do projectors have any kind of mask and thus a spec like the dot pitch rating of a regular computer monitor? If so, it would be easy to calculate the maximum resolution a crt can support before it begins to overlap.

- Brian

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Brian,

No, CRT front projectors do not have any form of mask or screen on the CRT tube themselves which is why they can display variable scan rates without being limited to one native resolution. However, with that said CRT projectors still have the spot beam size which get's vastly smaller when increasing from a 7" through 9" CRT. Thus a smaller beam will allow a higher resolution without scan lines overlapping.

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
Hell, 1080i just plain looks good with any FP that is capable of displaying it.

Sure, we can debate the difference in how some displays can resolve more of it's detail than others. But it still looks plenty good with a 7" projector (I look at it with 7", 8" and 9" CRT's and a D-ILA).

Bob

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
On our MP9, 1080i from HD DSS really could use some scaling due to scan lines. I wouldn't think that DSS 1080i would be too difficult for a 7"er to resolve... time for more testing on the 7" CRT's.

Oz

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DMan
Brian,

No, CRT front projectors do not have any form of mask or screen on the CRT tube themselves which is why they can display variable scan rates without being limited to one native resolution.
I just wanted to point out: this attribute makes a well-aligned CRT front projector the best possible display for home use. No shadow mask = no artificial limitation on resolution. Every other technology - standard CRT, LCD direct view, LCD projection, DLP and plasma - all have a fixed mask or pixel structure. That means those devices only have one optimum resolution (Sony's slot-mask technology only limits the horizontal, but has that awful anti-vibration wire).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.