Discussion Starter #1
Two of these $220
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=294-605

Two of these $70
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=300-7069

So that is a $290 investment.

60 RMS @ 8 handling.

109db per watt.

Is that figure before or after the horn?

That sounds very LOUD compared to what I have now, especially considering that I have two [email protected] monoblocks to feed them

If I were to buy such a thing, my concern is not the SPL, but rather the SQ.

Would it really be an upgrade for critical music listening or is it just a loud party tweeter?

The last thing I want is some screechy/honky sounding tops, and be shorted $300.

(I would activate my PV-215 if I wanted that.)

That said, I could... use a nice sounding "party" tweeter as well (Which my PV's are not).

I'm sitting on the fence.

It looks good on Paper. but does anyone have a video of these things in operation?

or more specifically, an A/B comparison video against a regular dome system?

I hate buying everything completely blind and trusting some sheet of paper/chart like it's the word of GOD (metaphorically speaking).

·
Registered
588 Posts
Have you been following the SEOS project at all?

Isn't this just the SEOS waveguide with a DE-250?

DE-250 is the same driver as the Denovo-360 from Erich and sounds great (I use one in the upgraded 4 pis)

I wasn't aware parts express starting stocking them

·
Registered
19,350 Posts
The more important question is what woofer and crossover are you going to use?

·
Registered
7,989 Posts
It'll sound good if used properly. If used inappropriately (ie. text book cross over to wild woofer) then it'll sound like poo. That's pretty much any tweeter though, so ya, it's good

Check out Erich's kits. If you want a lot of output, the Fusion 15 seems to be very popular.

·
Registered
919 Posts
after you add CD Compensation it will.be more like 98 dB. BTW it works great withthe Celestion 15" Pro wooferthat PE has on buyout.

·
Registered
183 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwaslo  /t/1471580/b-c-de250-seos12-should-i#post_23285596

after you add CD Compensation it will.be more like 98 dB. BTW it works great withthe Celestion 15" Pro wooferthat PE has on buyout.

Has anyone worked up a xover?

·
Registered
11,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here's Sarah McLachlan - Silence with 33kW.

Nobody could stand being in the room if the tweets were any louder!
Good lord, what do you guys do with such tweeters? You could kill or LRAD-paralyze a humming bird or small-fury-animals from 100ft away

Only metal heads would like such a thing, and still be stone deaf after just one day's use.

But one thing is for certain, the tweeter will blow before my monoblocks ever decide to clip as it also does [email protected], and I only use it for frequencies above 400hz.

Three monoblocks: L, C, R

·
Registered
7,484 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhillsguy  /t/1471580/b-c-de250-seos12-should-i#post_23286339

Has anyone worked up a xover?

Yes, Bwaslo made up a crossover for that woofer and the DNA-350. The speaker is quite good with an incredibly cost/performance ratio that would be nearly impossible to beat. I've got the prototype at my shop and it's clean and loud! I like it a lot.

I just asked him a few days ago about posting the design, so it will be up by the end of the week. I have to price the front baffles to get the total cost.

·
Registered
7,484 Posts
I'm pretty sure they're around $200. I'll have to get things boxed up to figure package material costs. Hopefully I can get both woofers, baffles, waveguides, CD's and crossover parts in one box. If so, then that would help with shipping costs. That would be a fairly big box though.

I can say that I like them better than the Designer Series model that I've been listening to for a while. The woofer is quite nice and the speaker sounds really good. They still need a subwoofer unless you build a bigger ported box.

·
Registered
11,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I've been a very bad boy

Part's Express didn't have enough stock for 7 full kits, first time I ran into their limits

I could "only" get this...

·
Registered
150 Posts
Nice! Are you pairing all that with the DIY soundgroup kit?

1 - 20 of 580 Posts